Show me your Military theme bikes

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Don´t know, never seen one down here!
But I´m getting confident in building one from scratch one day... :wink:

Not strictly military but militerised i use this for 1940's events... usually found tied to the radiator of my dodge!
Its a 30's Raleigh delivery bike with the basket removed from the front... it has the heavier chain and crank
a.jpg

b.jpg

Those are some lovely bikes...I'd give my right arm for a good pre war US built bike. G503 is a good source of US related military stuff.
My military collection, display is all USAAF stuff and as 95% of the bikes used by aircrews on british bomber bases were ... erm 'liberated' english bikes I guessed it'd be okay... that and the fact you simply don't find old US bikes in this country... or very, very, very rarely!

I keep thinking i must look into the cost of importing a bike from 'over there'

Yes! exactly the same case with mine, many folks say: "Hey, that´s a girl´s bike" they don´t know how hard it is to flip your leg over the seat while your wearing a flight suit.
Any ways, I´m kind of regretful of selling her, specially because I already spent the money.
But a new one will rise...

this is my " bomb girl" i finished just a week ago, the paints in the boxes are made by a friend .

bici21.jpg

bici22.jpg

bici23.jpg

bici24.jpg

bici25.jpg

bici27.jpg

I found this bike at the Pierson Air Museum in Vancouver. I assume a Columbia and looked to be all original. It was inside a display so no detail pics.

61395f75.jpg

One Great Addition to the Collection of great looking Army Bikes :wink:

Hello guys, excellent thread!

here is the bike I completed for RRBBO5, the Desert Stormer. The bike started out as an old Specialized Rockhopper; still don't know the year it was built, I contacted Specialized and not even they could help me, I'm guessing '88-'90. I built it with the Gulf War era in mind, because it matches the age of the bike and the color scheme is appropiate for AZ where I live. It's fully refurbished mechanically so I have taken it to some MTB trails and its completely functional.

S6006929.jpg

S6006931.jpg

S6006926.jpg

S6006900-1.jpg

S6006897a.jpg

twowheelflyer- I really like the Desert Stormer. Thats a good idea doing that to a mountain bike. Where did you find the canteens/holders? Army surplus store?

Hello Patrick, (hey I'm also from '68!)

I bought 2 on Ebay (just do a search: "MOLLE") and the other at a surplus store. Those are MOLLE II 1 liter canteen holders, there is also a rarer 2 liter model (canteen is kinda square). The canteens I got at the surplus store, they are available in olive green and tan.

jklier said:
Hey everyone, new forum member here. I'm about to start my first rat rod project but saw this thread and wanted to post here first.

1943 Huffman military issued bicycle. I possibly would have considered this one a basket case until I did some research on the serial number and found that it was indeed a military issued bike plus a fairly rare one at that. Lots of parts missing, bent frame, rust pitting, one wheel rotted out just to name a few things. You can see that it was painted Air Force blue at one time, probably when the Army Air Corp became the Air Force late in the forties. There's a hint of OD peaking out on the top tubes.

bikefull.jpg

Original stenciling on the OD paint reads: top tube INSPECTION bottom tube PWR. GRD. EQIP.

bikeframe.jpg

1 year later with my jeep in the background.

bikefin.jpg

STENCIL3-4.jpg

A few items of interest. I also have a Huffman civilian frame from about the same period. The welds on the civilian frame are smooth and as you can see in the photos of the military frame those welds are as is, no finishing work whatsoever. Also, the spokes for the military bike are extra heave gauge when compared to the civilian bike, which required a different hub and wheels.

BTW, the civilian frame I mentioned above is the basis to my rat rod project. I'll post some photos of what I have so far in another thread.

Very cool Military Huffman!
here are a few photos of my 1944 Civilian Transport model
P1000907.jpg

P1000886.jpg

P1000919.jpg

P1010466.jpg

P1010469.jpg

P1010471.jpg

P1010472.jpg

Latest posts

Back