(MBBO4 Class 1) Super Slingshot

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
These pictures came out horrible because of the darkness of my garage and my flash, but the chrome looks much better than these pictures are letting on.

The original mounting tab on the rear fender had to come out or it would have just been hanging in space. Taking it out left two rivet holes and a slat that the mount came up through. I toyed with the idea of having the spaces filled then re-chroming the whole thing, but that would have been pretty expensive and apparently my chrome guy can't meet the deadline with one project. I'd hate to see what two would do to him. So, as an alternative I used chrome decal tape to cover the holes. Like I said, it looks much better in person than it does in these pictures.

Before.
TdpkNL.jpg

After.
AWKKst.jpg

The rear fender was the last of my polishing for both bikes. (I wish I had taken a "before" pic of the shifter guts. They were an absolute rusted mess.)

The current polishing wheel isn't from just these two projects. I think I put it on right before MBBO3. As you can see, I got my money out of it. I do a LOT of polishing on my projects.

AymbW7.jpg

Alright... let's do this! Since I gave a step-byb-step on my last build, I'll just highlight a few stopping points. The biggest stopping point is the chain guard. I sure hope I get it. He said Thursday.

fk6kCS.jpg

I think I hate my grips. As you may realize, when I do one of these one-off "could have" builds I'm a stickler for authenticity, so I hunt down genuine parts and try to get NOS if I can. I couldn't find NOS purple Huffy grips, so I took what I could get. They are a bit rough, but worse is that they look more red than purple. Maybe that's the way they were, but I can see some deeper purple in there. But... I'm stuck with them until something better comes along.

lmcoBV.jpg

It's looking awesome! Love those red lines on the tires. Those really came out nice.

I wonder if you could use some paint or dye to color the grips?...:39:

It's looking awesome! Love those red lines on the tires. Those really came out nice.
I think the front is a little thick. I used the textured pattern for the line, which is, of course, thicker than I regular red line would be. But if I tried to cut it in half then I would have free-handed it, and I think that would have looked worse than just a ticker line.

I started installing the cables and housing this morning. Despite what I said before about using authentic parts, I couldn't find a set of Excel brake levers. So I bought a pair off a Huffy 3-speed that was being parted out. They looked pretty similar. One difference is where the housing meets the lever. On an Excel lever there is a small part that the housing fits into that acts as a stopper into the lever. The line runs through it. These levers only have a small hole, smaller than the housing, but bigger than the cable. So I installed a ferrell to act as the stopper. Unfortunately, when I installed the brake and tested it the inner housing busted through the ferrel and was pulled through, leaving the plastic in the ferrel. Obviously this is unacceptable. Does this type of lever have some sort of stopper I didn't get? Or is there another "fix" that you think I could use? Obviously I need a quick answer, but I can install a permanent answer later if you know of a part.

YKHLdV.jpg

WoHBsX.jpg

I love using NOS parts, but I hate popping open the package.

TiyBuc.jpg

These were pretty stiff, so I dropped them in boiling water for about 30 seconds to loosen them up, then installed them while they were still warm.

And look at this... NOS purple Huffy brake grips. A NOS purple Huffy sissy pad. And a set of purple Huffy grips. 3 purple Huffy parts... 3 different purples. :blackeye:

a0PzDJ.jpg

I talked to the chrome guy at 10am this morning. He said he'd start it, and to check with him at 6pm. At 6 he said he still hadn't gotten to it. I'm beyond pissed. He said check back tomorrow morning, but even if he knocks everything out in one day and I get it tomorrow night, I won't have any sun to take good pics.

So I thought to myself, I need to take good pics tomorrow, but the bike will be incomplete. Maybe I should do something silly like install a sign that reads "will restore for chain guard", but then my OCD kicked in. If I can make a sign, can't I just make a cutout?

So I did... as close to what the real thing will be as I could. I even cut out and glued on 16 separate flaming stack pieces! Man, I need help. :21:

W10OZ1.jpg

So here's what it looks like installed. I used the actual hardware. All I'm missing is the guard!

qDX1CV.jpg

And the bike... I'll clean it up and take pictures of it like this in the sun and post it in the "Finshed" thread. When/If I get the actual guard, I'll retake the pics and ask Luke to swap them out.

1PX4gJ.jpg

ScWlUo.jpg

Looking good Crash!
Just under 48 hours left, are you going to make it?
Well, I screwed up my calculation from 6 days ago. I thought it ended at 10pm on the 31st (U.S. Pacific) but it looks like 10pm on the 1st (U.S. Pacific). Unfortunately, I don't think the chrome guy will be working on the 1st, but maybe I can guilt him.

Well, looks like my fears have come true. My chrome guy absolutely failed me. I'm pissed off. Monday would be the earliest I could possibly pick it up at this point, and voting will be well underway. So, despite my early start, I submit an incomplete bike for voting. And with the fantastic competition this year, that basically certifies that I have no chance. What a way to start the year. :mad:

Latest posts

Back