(MBBO4 Class 1) Super Slingshot

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Great job on the wheel set[emoji95] nice to have a wheels truing set up ...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This project may kill me. I know I've lamented about how much dough I've pu into previous projects, but this one may break me. I may die if the wife finds out because she may just murder me with the very bike I'm building.

Setting my parts cost to this point aside... (I don't track my costs, so don't ask. If I knew I probably wouldn't be doing this). I just dropped of my flaming stack to my chrome guy. Because it's such thin metal it takes a real experienced pro to weld the two halves together neatly enough to not only not destroy the metal, but also to look like it was never done after the chromed. Just the flaming stack chain guard is going to cost me $235. (#iMayVomit) :speechless:

Here's an opinion question I could use some help with: the mounting bracket for the rear fender won't be used. It's in the wrong place. So it's coming off which will leave the two mounting holes and slot for the bracket. To have my chrome guy fix it like it was never there, which includes re-chroming a brand new fender, will set me back another $110. Or, I have some chrome decal left over where I could just cover it. But it may look like crap and it may come up at some point. The perfectionist in me says spend the $110. But the cheapskate in me says take the cheap route.

I already know I'm going to spend the money, but I'm asking you to try to talk me out of it.

Love the wheels with the new shoes on. Nice job with the polishing.

How many hours sanding that front rim you put in CRASH? I know I have over 10 in mine maybe more. I did it over a couple of days. Hate to lose that sanding trance once you get in it.

It's great you have a guy that can do that deilcate metal work. Sounds like he's worth the bucks...oy...:eek:

I'm trying to keep this one cheap but I'd still hate to ad up what I've got in my "free" Huffy.

You could always cover your fender holes with some kind of dodad. I used the original 1967 Dayton OH license plate to cover the rivet holes in my fender. Looks like you were right about the 24 inchers being out there. Just had to cut it down and deal with the holes.

Good to see you back in the mix..:thumbsup:

Is it possible to use some of the chrome decal for a mock up to see how it looks?

Or maybe instead of re-chroming the fender. You could wrap the whole fender in the chrome vinyl. That would be less money and still shiny.

This project may kill me. I know I've lamented about how much dough I've pu into previous projects, but this one may break me. I may die if the wife finds out because she may just murder me with the very bike I'm building.

Setting my parts cost to this point aside... (I don't track my costs, so don't ask. If I knew I probably wouldn't be doing this). I just dropped of my flaming stack to my chrome guy. Because it's such thin metal it takes a real experienced pro to weld the two halves together neatly enough to not only not destroy the metal, but also to look like it was never done after the chromed. Just the flaming stack chain guard is going to cost me $235. (#iMayVomit) :speechless:

Here's an opinion question I could use some help with: the mounting bracket for the rear fender won't be used. It's in the wrong place. So it's coming off which will leave the two mounting holes and slot for the bracket. To have my chrome guy fix it like it was never there, which includes re-chroming a brand new fender, will set me back another $110. Or, I have some chrome decal left over where I could just cover it. But it may look like crap and it may come up at some point. The perfectionist in me says spend the $110. But the cheapskate in me says take the cheap route.

I already know I'm going to spend the money, but I'm asking you to try to talk me out of it.
Hang in there brother I have felt this same way in the past which I'm sure most of us have !!! Wives , perfection , expenses , & try to be frugal .. Not any easy balancing act . But honey I checked all over town & the internet to find the best deals . But all she sees is red and $$$$$$$ good luck this may be your best & last build [emoji30] just kidding I'm sure you will do your best to not let her find out [emoji106][emoji106][emoji95][emoji95]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Leave it alone, who sees it? Me? No... anybody you don't point it out to? No. OCD or 110 bucks in yer pocket...hmm. Your call.

Carl.

Hard decision there Crash... I would have baulked at the price on the chainguard, never mind reworking a brand new fender... I know you like everything exactly right though...

I doubt I have $200 into my bike so far...

Luke.

...I know you like everything exactly right though...
Yeah, that's my disease. I even considered switching to Class 2 because I was thinking about adding about 4-6 inches to the frame. You know how Rails are known as a "Long" frame bike? Well, the 24" and 26" frames aren't proportionately the same. So I'd have to do the math to figure out the correct stretch length, but it would the exactly right for a 26" Slingshot. Ultimately I decided against it because the 24/20 Super Stock didn't stretch itself out. So, I decided that the fictional 26/22 version wouldn't have been stretched either.

Yeah, that's my disease. I even considered switching to Class 2 because I was thinking about adding about 4-6 inches to the frame. You know how Rails are known as a "Long" frame bike? Well, the 24" and 26" frames aren't proportionately the same. So I'd have to do the math to figure out the correct stretch length, but it would the exactly right for a 26" Slingshot. Ultimately I decided against it because the 24/20 Super Stock didn't stretch itself out. So, I decided that the fictional 26/22 version wouldn't have been stretched either.
Ummm... A 6 inch stretch on that would be awesome!

Luke.

Your wheels are awesome... as always! One of the reasons you win these build offs is because of your "OCD". The small(or in my opinion the big) details are where the rubber meets the road. The kit for the chain guard is one of those details, and the fender, and the rims, and on and on and on... Someday I hope to acquire the skills to restore/build a bike to just 80% of your builds. Respect! I do believe that a frame stretch will put the bike into Class II. But it would look so cool!!!

I even considered switching to Class 2 because I was thinking about adding about 4-6 inches to the frame.

That's the beauty of the smaller front tire. It kind of does the same thing. Makes it look like it's farther away from the rear tire.

A couple inches of stretch would put me in Cat 2? Or since the basic look isn't changing would it keep me in Cat 1?
That would be class 2 for sure...

Either way, it will be cool!

Luke.

Great concept and the whole thing looks like it will be just awesome. You hit it on the head when you said muscle bikes they just don't build them my size, same here! I have a couple old Manta Rays and they are a blast with the 24" wheel. You have built some super cool big bikes before, looking forward to seeing this one come together. Reminds me of that TV show years ago called BIG, where they would take ordinary stuff and make Huge versions of them.

your very resourceful and have a great eye i'm sure your going to come up with the right answer . The wheels are killer by the way .

The job hunt since retirement has been soul-crushing. I thought I would have had something by now. Hunting for a job is a job in itself, and I just haven't been motivated to work on bikes because of the stress. But... I know I need to, so I put in a bit of time today.

I cut the bridge out from the seat stays.

1IOucA.jpg

Then I spread the frame.

sZoD7c.jpg

I forgot to take a pic of it with the wheel in there, but it's pretty tight at the front of the chain stays.

I'm going to set this aside and work on my Spyder for a while, but my next steps are to put a new bridge in that I can put a brake through, and to build the fork.

Been in your shoes a couple of times myself. That period of time being unemployed and looking really wears on a person. Like Falstaff said ^ maybe you can find some release / accomplishment through your builds. The immediate satisfaction one gets from every little step along the way on these builds can really be good for the soul! Keep up the good work!

Latest posts

Back