(MBBO Class 2) "Mad Maxine" NOW SOLD TO A NEW RRB MEMBER!

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Someone is going to have legs like the incredible hulk after pedaling that bushpig around.:rofl:
You don't have a a dam near by? Even if it looks dry the tread would tear up the cracked bottom...Could be muddy in the center.Would give some great pics.;)
images
See what I can arrange!

Luke.

Am I the only one who thinks the springer looks better on there? Either way, love the build, you always build such cool bikes.

Am I the only one who thinks the springer looks better on there? Either way, love the build, you always build such cool bikes.
Yeah I agree I thought the springer looked better to but it might effect performance? It's also all about what the builder likes to.

Yeah I agree I thought the springer looked better to but it might effect performance? It's also all about what the builder likes to.
I have to admit I am not a fan of the springers like them, the way the action works to move the wheel forward and up instead of back and up like most causes some interesting handling, especially when cornering or braking hard with the front wheel...

That being said, I did intend to use it, but just didn't feel it suited the frame well.

Luke.

Well, looks like I am dropping out, I could finish it in the time left but not to a standard I would be happy with, I suppose I could enter it unpainted but ridable...

You guys and girls have got me thinking about painting it up like a tractor, mentioned it to Heidi and she seems keen on a John Deere theme: Green frame and forks with yellow wheels and seat.

That will have to wait a little though, made a purchase yesterday that has left us a bit short on $'s for buying more paint and stickers, you can find it in my "fresh finds" thread (at the bottom of the page):

http://www.ratrodbikes.com/forum/in...fresh-finds-new-bike-transporter.77149/page-2

Luke.

[QUOTE="LukeTheJoker, post: 877341,
You guys and girls have got me thinking about painting it up like a tractor, mentioned it to Heidi and she seems keen on a John Deere theme: Green frame and forks with yellow wheels and seat.
[/QUOTE]

First thing I thought when I saw this bike was that it would look great painted up like a John Deere.

What !!!!:13: No way,:20:
This close... if you really want mud,then start a rain dance.:grin:
Just joshin.
Sorry to hear that Luke,Oh well, Winter build-off is next.;)

Yes I agree maybe spray bomb with that peel able paint assemble and enter pics hate to see you drop out but I understand not wanting to submit a bike at the quality you want

I agree with everything they said.:acute:
You can worry about makin it all prerrrrtty later...:thumbsup:
A tin of spray paint rubs off very easy,just spray it on top of what ya got.

I really like the tractor idea.

Just a reminder though, Big Jim never did get painted. Throw all the parts together and take some pix, you're too close not to. :happy:
Enter what you've got! Not finishing two years in a row when you're running this show is not acceptable. Just get her together. Maybe polish it.
Yeah I believe in the ol' Rat Rod mantra...
RUN WHAT CHA "BRUNG!
(you did remember to "Bring It" didn't ya?)

Carl.
Yes I agree maybe spray bomb with that peel able paint assemble and enter pics hate to see you drop out but I understand not wanting to submit a bike at the quality you want
Heck, spray down the bare metal with vinegar and let it rust! Give it some patina! I know there's an "inducing rust" thread in RRB somewhere.
I agree with everything they said.:acute:
You can worry about makin it all prerrrrtty later...:thumbsup:
A tin of spray paint rubs off very easy,just spray it on top of what ya got.
PUT IT TOGETHER AND POST IT , You have come to far to not enter this bike , paint it anyway you want later just get the pictures in for the voting !!!!!!
If I just keep repeating "I think I can, I think I can..." maybe I will get there yet!

Was not feeling well this morning but after the many email notifications received overnight from all your posts and motivation I pushed myself out there and got some work done!

Started by moving the mount on the seat forward by grinding the heads of the rivets and re-welding it in the next set of holes, therefore moving the seat backwards:

16151822781_066f364088_z.jpg

Tacked in a solid tube between the mounting holes under the seat:

15966286058_3cf90eb3af_z.jpg

Then cut and bent up an original 70's Repco (Australian) sissy bar, rewelded it back together, cut the bottom two adjustment holes off the bottom and trimmed those tabs to make mounting points:

15966419810_af3869f79c_z.jpg

16152973522_a05ab6b3e8_z.jpg

Angle matches the seat tube:

15966418880_7fd492bbe0_z.jpg

Welded in the loose bolt that mounts the reflector plate to the back of the seat, it was a pain to remove the nut as the bolt just kept spinning inside the seat:

15531388864_e094deaf85_z.jpg

Took it for a ride and the seat is great, but then I had to move on to the next issue... The forks were off a mountain bike with a 22.2 steerer, all the vintage stems I have are 21.2mm, so they are loose and wobble and with the added vibration from the knobby tires loosen off very quickly. I had no option but to switch to a mountain bike stem which looks horrible:

15966283548_d00becd2a7_z.jpg

15967653329_fcfb567b00_z.jpg

Stopped for lunch while I thought of a solution, roast beef and a coke zero...

Decided the looks would be greatly improved just by shortening the reach on the stem allowing me to keep the 22.2mm steerer and the better clamping force of the MTB stem clamp, shortened the forks while I was at it to allow the top nut to tighten all the way down:

16152970272_f5ee81075f_z.jpg

Much better!:

16152970962_f07bc08e63_z.jpg

As it now sits after replacing the clapped out plastic pedals with some alloy platforms and going for a good ride:

15967652409_e8ea55c669_z.jpg

Awesome bike, rides great!

That was it for the day though, the body has had enough.

Now I just need to strip it, clean off the excess tabs and mounts, give it some paint, re-assemble and re-cover the seat...

I think I can,
I think I can,
I think I can,
I think I can,
I think I can,
I think I can...

Luke.

Keep it up Luke,You were on the nail with the long stem,looks better shorter...
Mixing bmx-Mtb-road bike parts with french-english-american,gets you thinkin outside that box...:crazy2::crazy:
but that's the fun of it all.

Got the seat covered in two layers of double density foam, just taped in place for tonight to help it form to shape before getting glued tomorrow:

16154648775_7dd83485c3_z.jpg

Any progress is still progress!

Luke.

Latest posts

Back