(MBBO Class 1) **DERELICT DILL** Mini-Crash's entry ((DONE))

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It's great to watch Mini Crash's creativity I'm glad you are letting him make all the decisions other than making sure it is safe. Like the choice of seat and 20 up front it makes it look much better . Good luck and good job on showing him how to adjust the hub!

My boy hates the 16" wheel on his bike too so we swapped for a 20"...

Carl. :android:

Yeah, I thought with the popularity of the Krate, there might be something fun about a 16" on the front. But, I honestly like it better with the 20". I've never been into the Krate. (Not to say I wouldn't buy one if I found it hanging in a barn!)

It's killing me. You've seen my builds. I'm all about chrome and shiny paint. The fact I kept a rusty frame at all was just sheer madness for me. And now my demon-spawn wants to pound nails in my coffin my insisting on more rust? Oh the humanity!!

:21:
Looks like the apple is rollin a lil further!!!
images

Sorry. I forgot to reply to this about the wheelie bars. I used 7/16 all thread with flat washers and nuts to hold the wheels in the middle then cut the all thread off just enough to put acorn nuts on the outside so it's nice and tight.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Haven't had a chance to attack the wheelie bar yet. He's been riding the bike and can't really do a wheelie, so I'm wondering if the gearing is too high for him to do that? I may have to explore a bigger cog on the back. There's a 20 tooth on it right now.

RRB member Marius.suiram hooked my boy up with a ratty headlight and a better kickstand. The 26"er he sent was a little too long, which is not surprising, so Dad took the angle grinder and gave it a slice, but the boy installed. He also made a seat adjustment to flatten it out and make the sissy more vertical, but found out the seat post was bottoming out. So... since Dad had the angle grinder out anyway, the post got a chop.

Here's the product as it stands.

ceDegY.jpg

He loves this thing and rides it daily, completely ignoring the Renegade 5 that I spend way too much money on!

For Sale: 1969 Renegade 5 (one-off). Winner of the MBBO2. Ridden very little. Asking $15,000 O.B.O. :headbang:

Looks like you guys are having a blast CRASH. My son is going on and on about the Dukes of Hazzard bike he wants to build since I've been watching old episodes with him online. He's still small for a stingray. Will prolly try to find him a junior.

I can't believe we haven't touched this build in over 2 months! But both my boys have been riding the heck out of this bike. They both really like the way it rides, so they're on it all the time.
I have the skate wheels, the hardware, and the plan to build the wheelie bar, but he hasn't needed it, so it hasn't been a priority. But we want to add it for the look at least, so we'll crank it out this weekend.
I was looking at parts for my Winter Buildoff bike, and I think I want to use the seat that we've got on the Dill in case I can't get the custom made in time. So... I had this green one sitting around waiting to be sent to the re-coverer. However, it's a mess. It's got duct tape residue on it, and the pans are separated underneath. So I'll have to see if I can make it usable to try to make it a viable option.

39ldM4.jpg

Love the fact that this ride is getting so much seat time!!!

That cleaned up nice. Looks perfect for the Dill. I might have to steel the seat off my kids bike for my late entry. (I got him a real 1976 Scrambler for xmas from a member here.)

Today was fab/install day for the wheelie bar.

First we started with roughly judging how much angle he wanted.
hMdw2n.jpg

Then we very roughly mocked up the distances. I quickly realized that what we wanted for distance and what we were going to get were two different things because the length of the sissy bar was going to dictate everything.

So... he cut it.
V2aC53.jpg

Ground the ends, pounded them flat, then drilled holes.
EyqXGF.jpg

Then he laid it all out...
MjcCc6.jpg

And put it together.
4J9myB.jpg

He took it out for a wheelie ride, but like I said, the sissy struts dictated the length, and they're too short, so the bike would have to go too far back. So... it is what it is for now. We're going to run by Lowes soon and see about some replacements.

Couldn't you attach the braces closer to the tire to get the bar to sit a little lower?

Latest posts

Back