(MBBO Class 1) **DERELICT DILL** Mini-Crash's entry ((DONE))

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Homework has kept the updates at bay during the week, and we were too busy yesterday to get any shop time in. Tonight we did a little.

First, I remembered a toasted kickstand I had for my 24" Spyder as reference to buy a new one. I thought maybe a 24" would give me better height for the longer fork. I was right.

JpSvxA.jpg

Then he installed the stem.

8D3Q9x.jpg

Then threaded the bars.

g0inw0.jpg

Then cranked those down once he hopped on the bike to get the fit he wanted.

AAPuLP.jpg

Then he was too excited not to try it out, so he bombed out of the garage to give it a kick-ride... then quickly realized he didn't have any brakes.

9RRDVU.jpg

He chose pedals and threw those on, and grips, and installed those as well. I had to mod a brake arm mount for him, so that's all set now. Next will be chain, then a test ride.

Looking at it, I'm not sure I'm a fan of the 16" front. I may throw a 20" on there to see if he like it. I think the CG is pretty far back, so it should wheelie like I'm hoping it will. I showed him the Wham'O wheelie bar commercial from the 60's and he's pretty stoked about having one. Borrowing Ichoptop's idea, I eyeballed a sissy on the back, and I think I see how I can make it all work. I'm going to need to find a cheap skateboard for the wheels/bearings, and then some long-ish rods to give it a brace to the seat. I'm also searching for burlap sacks to build a sissy pad.

More to come! :cool2:

Last edited:
Lovin this build!

Alright... pedals and chain installed. Found some technical issues, so had to take care of those so everything worked together. He took it out for it's very first test ride...

BwHHhE.jpg

Findings: It needs a pad on the bar. We found a giraffe pattern in mom's closet, so am going to use that for a pad. He doesn't like the way the seat feels, so going to swap it with a NOS white one with black stripes I have from way back when. Also, he thinks it's a little squirrel'ee, so he wants to try a 20" on the front.

I tried to get him to try a wheelie, but he wants the wheelie bar BEFORE he takes the shot, so we'll have to work on that too.

Tonight we made some time, so he swapped seats like he wanted. It's a NOS Royal seat made in Italy. A lot of the crap Chinese seats have this look, but they don't do the small/big stripe which is offset from the center.

eMvptr.jpg

He says he really digs this seat a lot more than the NOS gold Troxel (It's up for graps if anyone is interested) And he wants to make the back pad to match. I don't know if we can get matching material, but we'll see what we can do.

He said he'd like to throw a 20" wheel on the front to see how it looks. I had an old one laying around, so showed him how to overhaul the front hub. (I had to help a lot with it, but you guys know adjusting hubs is tricky, especially for a 10 year old) So here's the stance...

aK2TF5.jpg

He took it for a quick test ride in the dark and said he liked the way it felt and looked more than the 16". I'm going to let him stew over it for the next few days.
It raised the bike up enough that the kickstand is too short. I don't have a 26" stand lying around, especially that's ratty, so I my have to get him a Greenwald black one. (The rusty one grew on me, but is not enough reason to keep the 16" front if he likes the 20")
As you can see, the Royal is a little longer, so pushed the Sissy back. I think I'll have him flip the post clamp to bring it forward. I also suggested since he likes the white/black seat that we fill in the tire stripes with white, he liked that idea so you'll see that soon.
He also informed me he wanted a chrome front light, but that's because he just rode the Renegade 5 around with the light on at night (seen in the back left). I think a ratty one would look better, but I'll have to find a ratty one.

Next major step is figuring out a wheelie bar. (He informed me he wanted 1 black skate wheel and 1 white one :banghead:)

Latest posts

Back