(MBBO#6 Class 2) Twist of Lemon

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
twistOfLemon_side.jpg

The Schwinn Krates always seemed like the definition of a muscle bike to me. Probably because Schwinns were the only muscle bikes I was aware of back in the day. Never had one but I still remember the first one I saw, a brand new Cotton Picker owned by the older kid down the block.

I've had a rough sketch of this kicking around for a while. I thought of it as kind of a combination of a Krate/Lemon Peeler with some motorcycle super-bike front fairing lines thrown in. The "Nanner Puddin" collaboration, http://www.ratrodbikes.com/forum/in...t-ride-video-first-savannah-ride-pics.102723/, between @kingfish254 and @pvwacko brought the design back to the front of my mind. Especially their use of a 24" / 20" wheel combination.

Trying a cantilevered seat again. More confident in the initial design this time around but we'll see if it needs modification later. I'm also planning on using a relatively narrow rear rim and hub with a wide 24" x 3" tire. I've got a few ideas on making that work but not sure of the chain line. Plan a test mock-up of that first before completely committing. The front fork is going to be a challenge too. Can't wait to get started!

twistOfLemon_rear3qtr_frnt3qtr.jpg

twistOfLemon_dimDRWG.jpg

twistOfLemon_piecesParts.jpg

Oh wow! I love this!
That second pic sure has a wicked insect look to it. Maybe you should change the name to Praying Mantis Ray or Locust Peeler!!
Also, check out the latest build from OCDConnection on FB for some "great minds think alike inspiration" https://www.facebook.com/OcDconnection/?ref=br_rs

We have a winner!! Your concept models are so good, there's almost no surprise in the end!! I love the originality. Definitely motivates me to learn to weld so that I can build stuff like this.

We have a winner!! Your concept models are so good, there's almost no surprise in the end!! I love the originality. Definitely motivates me to learn to weld so that I can build stuff like this.
I can weld...and I can't build stuff like this! When someone builds stuff like this, welding is just ONE part of it. There's "Imathinationeering", a combo of imagination, math (lots), and engineering.

I can weld...and I can't build stuff like this! When someone builds stuff like this, welding is just ONE part of it. There's "Imathinationeering", a combo of imagination, math (lots), and engineering.
I agree 100%, I just meant that welding is the only thing holding me back. I think I have the creativity and design skills to build in this category. I'm just not quite there yet, but it's great to have great builders to follow and learn from. Following along is very motivating for me! "Imathinationeering" is a great word by the way!

Oh wow! I love this!
That second pic sure has a wicked insect look to it. Maybe you should change the name to Praying Mantis Ray or Locust Peeler!!
Also, check out the latest build from OCDConnection on FB for some "great minds think alike inspiration" https://www.facebook.com/OcDconnection/?ref=br_rs

Thank you. Praying Mantis Ray does have a nice sinister muscle bike ring to it! Thanks too for the link. There is a whole lot to be inspired by in that El Payso build.

Thanks, but there's a long long way to go. Guess I am a bit of a prepper.

If you haven't already, get a welder! It's relatively easy to get a couple of pieces of metal to stick together. At least with a MIG welder anyway. From what I've seen of your builds, 3D printed pieces and seat recovering skills... should be a real short learning curve.

I was hoping you would be back!
You have to follow up that awesome FlashbackGT from last year!

Thank you Luke! It killed me to sit out the big build but I just had way too many projects around the house that required warm weather to get done.

When you going to make a new post on your build? I can hardly stand the suspense!

So, getting the chain line past a 24" x 3" tire was giving me some concern. I clamped together a couple spare frames to create the crank to axle distance used in the design. Centerline to centerline is relatively long at just over 23". Won't be much of a wheelie machine. Looks like I'll be good with just a spacer to keep the freewheel pushed out as close to the dropout as possible. This gives me about half an inch tire clearance in fifth, just over an eighth in first. If I need to I should be able to easily swap in a wider crank spindle.

chainLine.jpg

So, getting the chain line past a 24" x 3" tire was giving me some concern. I clamped together a couple spare frames to create the crank to axle distance used in the design. Centerline to centerline is relatively long at just over 23". Won't be much of a wheelie machine. Looks like I'll be good with just a spacer to keep the freewheel pushed out as close to the dropout as possible. This gives me about half an inch tire clearance in fifth, just over an eighth in first. If I need to I should be able to easily swap in a wider crank spindle.

View attachment 61449

Glad to hear the derailleur set-up won't be a show stopper. On a concept as wild as this one, I'd suggest an IGH just for simplicity's sake. Pull this off and the headaches you went through won't go unnoticed.

Thanks, but there's a long long way to go. Guess I am a bit of a prepper.

If you haven't already, get a welder! It's relatively easy to get a couple of pieces of metal to stick together. At least with a MIG welder anyway. From what I've seen of your builds, 3D printed pieces and seat recovering skills... should be a real short learning curve.
Do you use MIG? I'm not a welder, but everything I've read and watched on bicycle building suggests that tig is more accurate and cleaner. I appreciate the vote of confidence. I will continue to watch and learn from your builds. Keep up the amazing design, building and documentation. It's all a treat to follow.

Latest posts

Back