(MBBO #5 Class II) Four-gone Conclusion...

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well, since a number of you have guessed, and it appears we're all spending our Saturday night on RRB ( :forum::whistle:) .....I will reveal the mystery tool's use now.

This is a vintage bicycle tool I picked up at our swap meet in Minneapolis in June. Bought it from the former owner of Island Cycle, which was a bicycle parts and frame warehouse in the North Loop neighborhood of downtown Mpls.

Here is what it is used for, and I needed it to get that Nexus Int 4 spd hub in between the drop-outs:
20160910_101302.jpg

20160910_101309.jpg

It works really well! It's all leverage. You turn the flat handle which causes the two steel rod holders to slide past one another and the isometric pressure pushes the frame stays apart. He had like a dozen of these at the swap. If anyone is interested, I could try to get a hold of him and buy up some more and ship them out.

I want one!:cool2:
I will try to get a hold of Bill. I don't have contact info, but I can find someone who probably does. If I get an inventory of what he has, I'll let you know. He had some cool stuff, I limited my budget that day.....;)

I want one too.... but I'm disappointed. I was really looking forward to a where's waldo red & white striped bike cover.
I did take up needlepoint when it was popular in the '70s. Don't have any of those creations lying around anymore however....

Some more progress this past weekend. I am ditching the Nexus 4 push button shifter for this down-tube friction shifter off the women's 5 speed donor bike (also contributed the fork, and chrome fender yet to come). Then, I want to extend that shifter for more of a 'stick shift' kind of look / feel. Picked up this brake adjust tool at NAPA cheap. It's chrome, cool bends, and my shift ball fit down on top with a little help.

20160910_080227.jpg

20160910_080317.jpg

20160910_080357.jpg

Oh, and this happened....full cover valve caps! Psi Valva Kappa baby!

20160910_085953.jpg

The first test ride is on the books! Waiting for parts (sissy bar, pedals, grips, ) which are arriving today via my LBS. The Mesinger saddle had to suffice....but the ride is awesome!
Shifts well, solid feel, no chain guard rub...!
20160912_101853.jpg

20160912_101912.jpg

Picked up the goods from my 'dealer' yesterday. Polo seat rail aka "sissy bar", round profile cruiser pedals, and some nice grippy grips with a classic look.

Took some doing this morning, but I got the seat rail mounted and took it for a spin in my favorite neighborhood park.

20160913_131159.jpg

20160913_130757.jpg

20160913_130732.jpg

And a shot of my "Clip stand", metal spring clamp clasped around the pedal axle and then the handles become legs for the stand. Works well, and portable too!
20160913_130703.jpg

Next up is cutting up the front fender from my 5 spd girl's donor bike....more chrome....shiny.... :cool2:

Picked up the goods from my 'dealer' yesterday. Polo seat rail aka "sissy bar", round profile cruiser pedals, and some nice grippy grips with a classic look.

Took some doing this morning, but I got the seat rail mounted and took it for a spin in my favorite neighborhood park.

View attachment 34007
View attachment 34008
View attachment 34009

And a shot of my "Clip stand", metal spring clamp clasped around the pedal axle and then the handles become legs for the stand. Works well, and portable too!
View attachment 34010

Next up is cutting up the front fender from my 5 spd girl's donor bike....more chrome....shiny.... :cool2:
I know this has to be difficult for you, not making it all rusty and such. But it's looking good.

Looking good OJ....
Nice work on the seat
That seat cover material looks just like some I used on a recent..(actually my very first seat re-cover) I did on a little BMX.
And I used the same spray adhesive....
Lemme ask you Odd Job..do you use the adhesive all over faux material to attach it to the foam, or just underneath the lip part.....?
How long do you clamp it?
I thought this stuff was instant...and maybe I was impatient too...
well, yeah, I was impatient...and just sprayed it and stretched it around...
.looks good but it's not really holding well underneath the lip.

chaos3.jpg

I mean, you get the stuff on your fingers and pick up a pencil and you can't shake it off, I din't know you were supposed to clamp it.

Just wondering, cuz I'll be building the entire seat for the muscle bike....
:happy:

Franco

Latest posts

Back