(MBBO #5 class 2) Slow Roll

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
20161126_105705.jpg

Shifter modified, mounted, shifting thru all gears. Need to set high low limit, dial in a bit, before a ride.

Cover is modified and mounted. need to run to the store for a couple pieces to finish shifter rod.

Got some good pics of the modifications this time, I'll do a how-to with shifter rod mounting.

2016-11-26 19.50.14.jpg

Here's the shifter, cut off golf club, polished shaft, it had the black flange with 2 stripes on it and I knew I had to use it, shift ball is an equipment knob.

Golf shaft tapped 1/4 inch on both ends, all thread. I inserted a threaded sleeve into the shifter, screw on the bottom, all thread into the top. took some creative measuring to get the slot in the cover.

Seat looks pretty good to me!

Luke.
Thanks Luke, it came out pretty good, the tucks on the rear were difficult. More concerned on the longevity of this material, next time I'm at a junkyard I'll field dress a Crown Vic to have some material.
I'll definately use pleather or similar on any future seats.

View attachment 39401
Here's the shifter, cut off golf club, polished shaft, it had the black flange with 2 stripes on it and I knew I had to use it, shift ball is an equipment knob.

Golf shaft tapped 1/4 inch on both ends, all thread. I inserted a threaded sleeve into the shifter, screw on the bottom, all thread into the top. took some creative measuring to get the slot in the cover.
Love the shifter / gear box! And you have the gearing indexed....wow! Hopefully we can see some 'exploded' views of the building of the shifter you described so well above. I agree with Luke on the seat, you guys and your sparkly vinyl heat and stretch methods, it gives it a true muscle bike look for sure. That's what always draws my interest and holds my attention; somebody using techniques, materials, and ideas that I haven't tried. RaT oN!

Love the shifter / gear box! And you have the gearing indexed....wow! RaT oN!
Shimano SIS derailleur, shimano replacement dynagrip click shifter, solid shifter cable housing, new cable.

I'm using the cover as a positive stop, 3 speed gear on a 5 speed shifter. Running back thru the gears last night I need to do a little touch up grinding to allow the shift lever to go into top gear better.
The derailleur isn't real high tech, the shifts are slow, I don't see a B-tension setting so it hangs the way it wants. Limit screws aren't real responsive to change, sloppiness in the pins. Just a low end derailleur.

Shifting OK on the stand, I need to get some riding in to be sure it's dialed.

If I don't like the feel of it, I'll find a higher end derailleur to install for springtime.

Nice work on the shifter mods. Yeah, that b-tension screw is key to get initial chain line / position and setting parameters. Sounds like you have a functional set-up that, like you say, can be upgraded later if needed.

DUN, got a rider.

Shifting well, just sneak up on the shift, don't slam the lever. Brakes are pretty good, little more messing.

I'll have to get outta work early tomorrow to get some daylight pics and post up on the other thread.
Got some details I haven't shown yet.

20161129_153209.jpg

To wrap this up, here's the finished pic posted over in the other thread.
Used alum platform pedals, the block pedal I had didn't have bearings and I couldn't get enough grease in them to stop squeeking.

I was holding out on the chainguard, itS a little beat and it took a lot of massaging to get it on there, but I think it adds some character.
There's very few new parts on this bike, as much as possible is reused or reclaimed or fabbed.

Latest posts

Back