(MBBO#5 Class 1) Lester Ray.

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
image.jpeg

Paint booth set up. Primer applied.

What kind of dye did you use for the saddle cover? And can you explain the process too...thanks!
Result looks really good!

IMG_0861.JPG
I use VHT Vinyl Dye.
You have to start with good vinyl. Any rough spots/tears/holes are going be enhanced. Clean all dirt and grime off with final cleaning using acetone. I tape entire pan and small exact fit peice of tape over the metal stingray tag. Leave seat post in makes it easier handling the seat without touching vinyl. I do two light coats followed by two wet coats 100% coverage. Back and forth motion each line of spray overlaps the previous. 10 minutes between each coat. Let sit for 3 hrs. If you feel you missed a spot and need another coat have wait 7 days for dye to cure. Don't forget about bottom where vinyl wraps around goes under pan. Use same technique on pan side get that small strip of vinyl all the way around.
This stuff works. Does not crack or feel stiff. Vinyl texture and firmness does not change
I restored a stingray junior for neighborhood boy. Change girls seat to white. This kid rides the bike a lot. seat still looks great.
Been over a year dye has not faded or any loss of color with scrapes.

iam a new VHL paint fan this stuff look good , and the paint test i did with the paint for my build is already rock hard, cant sratch it with my nail like usual rattle can paints
Seat looks great !:thumbsup:

IMG_0772.JPG
IMG_0771.JPG
IMG_0868.JPG
IMG_0869.JPG
IMG_0874.JPG
IMG_0878.JPG
IMG_0879.JPG
I took a sporty back fender style used in the mid to late 70s and removed the brace. Fender had heavy rust on under side. Cleaned and sanded. Soaked in Evapo-Rust sanded again. Filled holes from brace with rivets. Primed and painted. Plan to mount little different place than normal. Without braces. Nice clean look.

Latest posts

Back