Still waiting on my paint.
While waiting I cleaned and re greased the bearings on the mags.
Wheels are in great mechanical shape. Thought I wanted Whitewalls. I put a whitewall on back wheel. I do not like it against the red. I will got with black.
I worked on the seat today.
Change from girl flower power to classic buck skin look.
In my mind. This is what a banana seat would have looked like in the 1920s.
Goal or theme is a muscle bike with antique motorcycle look.
I use VHT Vinyl Dye.
You have to start with good vinyl. Any rough spots/tears/holes are going be enhanced. Clean all dirt and grime off with final cleaning using acetone. I tape entire pan and small exact fit peice of tape over the metal stingray tag. Leave seat post in makes it easier handling the seat without touching vinyl. I do two light coats followed by two wet coats 100% coverage. Back and forth motion each line of spray overlaps the previous. 10 minutes between each coat. Let sit for 3 hrs. If you feel you missed a spot and need another coat have wait 7 days for dye to cure. Don't forget about bottom where vinyl wraps around goes under pan. Use same technique on pan side get that small strip of vinyl all the way around.
This stuff works. Does not crack or feel stiff. Vinyl texture and firmness does not change
I restored a stingray junior for neighborhood boy. Change girls seat to white. This kid rides the bike a lot. seat still looks great.
Been over a year dye has not faded or any loss of color with scrapes.
This is 4th time I have used it.
Each time I have flipped a girls seat to new color.
Good original vinyl easier to find with girls seat. Flower seats have a white base color. Easier to cover. The best are girls flower seats that have been faded from sun.
Painted frame this morning.
Cleared the chainguard and forks.
I will Clear frame tonight.
Will work on Christmas gift cups while paint booth is set up. Cups painted with Schwinn approved paint of course.
I took a sporty back fender style used in the mid to late 70s and removed the brace. Fender had heavy rust on under side. Cleaned and sanded. Soaked in Evapo-Rust sanded again. Filled holes from brace with rivets. Primed and painted. Plan to mount little different place than normal. Without braces. Nice clean look.