(MBBO#5 Class 1) deterioRat

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Looking good!
Not being critical here, but since you're embracing the rusty and crusty, the clean chain seems out of character with the rest of the bike.
Where he's right, he's right...:39:

Looking good!

Not being critical here, but since you're embracing the rusty and crusty, the clean chain seems out of character with the rest of the bike.

You know, when I put that chain on, I heard you, I heard my inner The Renaissance Man. Use the Force, furyus. But I didn't listen. Needless to say the starfighter is still mired in the swamp. I'll try and do better, TRM.

No try, do.

OK, I will do better, TRM. The chain is too shiny. I will put the correct chain on deterioRat.

furyus

Last edited:
If your searching I prolly have one I can spare... Or boxes and bins full

I've got a solution on the way. I do appreciate your generosity and your posts. Thank you, pholTmonx.

furyus

I'll tell you what I didn't listen to, and that's my inner Luke the Joker. He wanted like 5 chains driving a wheel off an Airbus main landing gear.

furyus

You know, when I put that chain on, I heard you, I heard my inner The Renaissance Man. Use the Force, furyus. But I didn't listen. Needless to say the starfighter is still mired in the swamp. I'll try and do better, TRM.

No try, do.

OK, I will do better, TRM. The chain is too shiny. I will put the correct chain on deterioRat.

furyus
b9a_funny_yoda_quotes._q.jpg

That stance is perfect! The rear tire is so huge and jammed up in the guard, looks like a drag car!
I'll tell you what I didn't listen to, and that's my inner Luke the Joker. He wanted like 5 chains driving a wheel off an Airbus main landing gear.

furyus
:( Maybe you can do it next year? :thumbsup:

I love bacon...

Luke.

:( Maybe you can do it next year? :thumbsup:

Luke.

Truth be told, all the Force in the world and I still couldn't out-Luke you, Luke. I'll stick with assemblin' parts.

furyus

Seeking redemption...

chains.jpg

First section of chain is the shiny new Wippermann Connex that I carelessly installed on deterioRat. Second set of links is the rusty old Union chain off a ballooner I acquired. Third set of links is the same chain as the second, but rehab'd. And you know what I'm using - Gibbs! Try some today! Every link is frozen or nearly so. Squirt of gibbs at each connection, bend, bend to work it in, then wipe away. Repeat. After doing several links I realized I'm doing my penance for using a shiny chain. I'm doing my rat rod rosary. Squirt, bend, bend, wipe. Squirt, bend, bend, wipe. All the way around the chain. Hail TRM, full of grace. forgive me for my transgressions. Hail TRM, full of grace, forgive me for my transgressions.

I'm hoping this chain will keep my out of purgatory (bikeforums.net).

furyus

Received this in the mail today. Is this cool or what?

View attachment 36663
An original by RRB's own ODDER. It's like I'm getting a trophy already. What a righteous surprise.
I got one from him as well a while back. I meant to cut it and hang it in the garage, but it got recycled without my knowledge and I'm bummed.

Lemme try this chain thing again...

chains2.jpg

chains3.jpg

chains4.jpg

furyus

Last edited:
Seeking redemption...

... I'm doing my penance for using a shiny chain. I'm doing my rat rod rosary. Squirt, bend, bend, wipe. Squirt, bend, bend, wipe. All the way around the chain. Hail TRM, full of grace. forgive me for my transgressions. Hail TRM, full of grace, forgive me for my transgressions.

I'm hoping this chain will keep my out of purgatory (bikeforums.net).

furyus
All is forgiven.

All is forgiven; what a wonderful thing. Help me to forgive others.

With that burden removed, I can enter the final weekend of the build off with vigor. Just a few more bits to be added...

Seat post clamp and Q bolts...

finalpush1.jpg

Sissy bar...

finalpush2.jpg

Handlebars, from a '67 Slik Chik. The seat post clamp came from the same bike...

finalpush3.jpg

I figure at some point, a long time ago, the little girl who owned the Chik wrapped the handlebars in tape. These rust patterns run up and down each side of the bars...

finalpush4.jpg

Appropriately abused grips...

finalpush5.jpg

I've been sitting on this for awhile...

finalpush6.jpg

furyus

Latest posts

Back