(MBBO #4 Class 2) Mustang Phatty -(FINAL MOCK UP PHOTOS)-

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
When I saw the pic I thought to my self.."wow it looks like a drag bike"..Then I read what you posted. Maybe go down and back with the seat a little?
I was thinking you might need a longer seat,but an angled seat post might do the trick.

I like the length on bikes I've done, and yours looks good but it's hard to tell how YOU fit without some handlebars. I build mine to fit ME...

Carl.

I like the length on bikes I've done, and yours looks good but it's hard to tell how YOU fit without some handlebars. I build mine to fit ME...

Carl.

After consideration I think I'll go back to keeping it as short as possible. With that, the axel will be 5" longer than stock. The top tubes are already 24" long. Most of my 26" bikes have 22"ers so this lil bike has a freakishly long steer to seat dimension. I may try my luck at building bars, that way I can make it fit up top. Thanks for the input guys! I appreciate it!

Made a little progress on fitting tonight. I got the seat post cut out and a patch made. Got the BB fit.

6sGbgan.jpg

Also got the seat stay tubes ready at the frame.

ZHETmad.jpg

Nice fitment, and plug welds too... this should turn out nice.
I wish I could weld like that...

Carl.

Thanks for the compliments on prep. My welding is another thing entirely. I just started welding up bikes a little over a month ago, I built a couple of talls. Those things are a blast to ride. Anyway, I'm self taught on the mig so be gentle with me?!?!

I got a little more done this evening. I didn't like the looks where I cut out the seat stay and I wanted a good flat and stable point to weld the smaller tubes on the Hawthorn. So I welded a plate to cover the mess.

4VbqRRB.jpg

mks9AiK.jpg

KdyTswl.jpg

I only blew trough one place on this thin metal (bottom right). I didn't get a picture of the welds cleaned up, they aren't perfect but hey will hold.

nKKZLe6.jpg

The frame is ready for welding. I'll do that tomorrow.

majaDmF.jpg

Doing good!

The string method for checking frames works well, the way you have it is cool, but another way is to run a piece of string from one dropout around the headtube and back to the other dropout, then you can measure in from the strings to the seat tube and other places.

Looks like you have it nice and straight anyway though!

Luke.

Doing good!

The string method for checking frames works well, the way you have it is cool, but another way is to run a piece of string from one dropout around the headtube and back to the other dropout, then you can measure in from the strings to the seat tube and other places.

Looks like you have it nice and straight anyway though!

Luke.
I've never heard of that, I like it! I'll check mine before I weld it up.

Ok, just for giggles I strapped the long rear on. Gives it a drag look. What do you think?!?!?! :39:

pCIss2k.jpg
Well, the bike is def cool and I'm digging that coffee table in the background too!

I tried your string around the frame method and found I was out 1/16" at the drop outs, I called it good. Thanks for the tip Luke!

MWUANY8.jpg

I got the angles to match real well. After welding I checked how much I compressed the frame by mocking up the fender. Now I'm going to cut and re-mount the fender mount.

b68XdNJ.jpg

The welds aren't perfect, but it's going to have to be "good enough". I'm happy with this portion being done.

SdsRks1.jpg

Well, the bike is def cool and I'm digging that coffee table in the background too!

Thanks, my buddy builds this stuff. That's a 2 1/2" thick piece of black walnut with forked Ponderosa legs. It weighs over 150lbs. It was a gift for installing a bathroom in his mountain home. I got the better end of the deal!!

love how this is coming together!

The fender mount on my OCC frame was out a mile...
Lookin' good bro.

Carl.

Got the rear part of the frame done, minus a lil clean up.

4NBLA8B.jpg

99bVF2t.jpg

L71pWPq.jpg

fn9r5Ac.jpg

Last weld, it was for the kick stand.

k88jxyJ.jpg

This is a tuff looking lil frame! I'm pleased.:thumbsup:

Q58t4Bk.jpg
Making great progress! That wheel / tire looks like it fits like the proverbial glove....Nice combo of black and shiny parts. Rat on!

Latest posts

Back