(MBBO #4 Class 1) "Shelby Flyer Woody"..Holiday Greetings from OddJob..pg 10

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

OddJob

Staff member
Pro Member
Reaction score
Here is my entry for the MBBO #4. I have always been enamored with the woodie wagons of the 40's and 50's. My goal will be to transform this Shelby Flyer from pedestrian cruiser to wood enhanced beach comber. The guy I bought it from last Sunday had already begun the transformation, adding vintage knobby whitewalls which were too fat for the middle weight stock fenders! Build on!

Just some friendly advice after building Artemus, if you end up deciding to use wood grain vinyl film anywhere. Make sure you spend more than $5 a sheet on it,don't want it to wrinkle up.

Just some friendly advice after building Artemus, if you end up deciding to use wood grain vinyl film anywhere. Make sure you spend more than $5 a sheet on it,don't want it to wrinkle up.
Only live trees will be used on this build my friend! Well, trees that were once alive I mean....

Cool! Are going with a banana seat and apes?

Great frame to start with

It's still got the original badge , which makes it even that much cooler [emoji106]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Great frame to start with
Thanks Brian. Yeah, it belonged to the guy's uncle, who had recently passed away. Dude hated to part with it, but he has a small garage on an alley in So. Mpls....and I told him I would take good care of it....;)

It's still got the original badge , which makes it even that much cooler [emoji106]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
The badge will definitely survive my rat-ification process...not sure yet about the original paint, although it is in remarkable shape.

Day 1 Summary.....

BTW, FYI to those who didn't follow my BO-X Beer Boy Delivery build; my ADHD causes me to go 60 MPH to finish ASAP on DIY type projects. So this progression will be documented in a near-daily format. Plus, up here in the north country we could have snow by mid-Oct and it will be colder than $#!+ by November....not exactly beach weather. So, my ETF (estimated time of finishing) on this MBBO will likely be sooner than later....

Took the bike all apart today. Not sure exactly which of these parts will survive the cut, but it's a start....The 'naner seat is a Sunlite Classic Polo as well as the seat rail from jbimporters.com. Should have my Electra Ape Hanger bars tomorrow....

Also cut my fenders out of the 2 x 4 x 1/4" sheet of oak veneer plywood. I have used this method before on my Fat Rat that was featured on the Instructables.com site on my page. Here is a link to the process:
http://www.instructables.com/id/Woody-Fenders-for-a-classic-vintage-look/

The only thing I did differently today was clamp them to the tires on the wheels instead of the form. We'll see how they look tomorrow....!

Day 2 Summary....Today was a woodworking day. Trying to get a lot accomplished this week before school starts next Tuesday. Fenders held their profile pretty well after being clamped down for 24 + hours. Sanded, and mounted the hardware on the fenders, and even slapped some stain on. Then got the "woody" side panels cut and glued together and tried a "dry fit" late this afternoon. So far so good....

Front fender with crown cut out and mounting hole

I used some old fender hardware from a couple of donor bikes. Going for an "aged" look, tried a new stain called Weathered Oak. I'm liking the effect....

The bike with the unstained fenders mounted.

The woody side panel. Cut two of these and then used Tacky glue and clamped all day. Then set it in place to get an idea of the fit.

Finished off the day with a great gig at the Minnesota State Fair! (That's me on the fiddle..)

Last edited:
Just curious OJ, did you steam the wood or just clamp them to the wheel and they stay that shape?

Latest posts

Back