(MBBO 4 Class 1) In Violet --Finished

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

metalchewy

For the love of the Ride 🚲 🔥
Pro Member
Reaction score
Finished:

So, I'm a bit paused on my other MBBO bike. might regret a second entry later on, but have beet eyeing this purple frame I picked up last month.

Going with the high impact color theme, I sanded the grape smooth sprayed a base of metallic brushed nickel

Next mixed up some iridescent violet, with some pearlized plum...

So, this is the start of a shiny build

Clear coat tomorrow...

Building... riding...

Last edited:
I too have been debating a second build...
I was thinking more ratty tho.
Great paint brother.

Carl.

I too have been debating a second build...
I was thinking more ratty tho.
Great paint brother.

Carl.
My ToRed Build is my ratty, petina'd one this year. Had the airbrush out the other day painting my new bike helmet, kinda got me thinking on the purple...

Building... riding...

Looking good! Nice MOPAR color!
Hehe, I figured you would catch that. I am a mopar kinda guy. :) Been thinking of adding a third in the yella category, but I don't want to get too far ahead of myself..

Put the clear coat on.

It's A little off from 'In Violet' with the glow, but the effect did turn out close to what I was wanting it to.

I froze the bearing cups and they went in easy. Slid most if the way in and seated with only one or two taps with my makeshift wooden mallet ( 2x2 board. )

I am faced with a quandary.

I have an s7 20" Wheel with a 1975 SA sc3 coaster hub.

And an S2 20" Wheel with 1969 regular three speed.

I kinda want the sc3 on this bike, but pictured a wider tire than are available for the S7.

Maybe I should swap them. Those 28 hole hubs don't match up to many rims....

Building... riding...

Nice color! Does look like Plum Crazy.

I'd lace up the S2 with the hub you want. Seriously limited tire selection for the S7s. You'll probably need to use the spokes that are on the S2 since the S7s are slightly larger in diameter.

I would unlace those wheels and get the hub you want on the rim you want... If the hubs are close to the same size you should be able to reuse the spokes from the rim anyway...

Luke.

Nice color! Does look like Plum Crazy.

I'd lace up the S2 with the hub you want. Seriously limited tire selection for the S7s. You'll probably need to use the spokes that are on the S2 since the S7s are slightly larger in diameter.

The hubs aren't quite identical in diameter, the sc3 measures larger than the non coaster version. It would be moving to the s2. Cutting and threading for sure.

But thinking of drilling the SC3 out to a 56 spoke hub there's plenty of room todo so on that huge flange. Then lace it up wagon wheel style to almost match the front.

A few more pics on the paint in different light and dang close Plum Crazy/In Violet.

Dogs dusted it up, my tack cloths are hiding from me at the moment, so will wait till I'm ready to buff it to wipe the paint with anything.

I need a longer seat post, and been wanting to throw a set of baby apes on it with the seat 4" higher, and see how it looks... that kinda height, need to make a strong wheelie bar!!

Building... riding...

Laced this up today.

Robbed 28 spokes from a front large flange, fit about 1mm long.

I may drill it to 56 spokes, but will need to buy spokes, that front is 8 spokes short.

Building... riding...

Just be careful if you intend to lace that coaster radially--that pattern provides very little in the way of torsional resistance and could easily twist itself apart when braking.
I came to a similar conclusion. There are 8 new spokes in the goodie bag. There will be 56 spokes in that wide S2 by Monday. :). Will also have a rim brake on the bike after the clear is cured.
I'm intrigued
A few goodies in the bag, some yellow fabric and purple dye for the new seat cover. Plus other 'Top Banana' colored stuff... :)

Building... riding...

Grape and plum, just don't match, the grape looks a little ill next to the bright.

So, going with the tire color scheme, I mixed some yellow, with some white, with a touch of fluorescent yellow to get a top banana color. [emoji48] [emoji48]

Dry overnight and then clear coat it with ceramic tomorrow.

Did the seat pan too...

Building... riding...

Latest posts

Back