MBBO#3 the drawing board

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The Hoosier tire is throwing my plans out a bit, seeing as it requires a long wheelbase due to the need for a jackshaft to clear the width, not really feeling it as a muscle bike build... I can make it work as a dragster build that still fits the rules of the build-off though...

Not really sure...

So, I have been exploring other possibilities, specially in regard to girls bikes as a build for my wife, so, has anyone ever seen an off-road, knobby tires equipped girls muscle bike? :39:

Luke.

The Hoosier tire is throwing my plans out a bit, seeing as it requires a long wheelbase due to the need for a jackshaft to clear the width, not really feeling it as a muscle bike build... I can make it work as a dragster build that still fits the rules of the build-off though...

Not really sure...

So, I have been exploring other possibilities, specially in regard to girls bikes as a build for my wife, so, has anyone ever seen an off-road, knobby tires equipped girls muscle bike? :39:

Luke.

That's why I voted for the rail design. Its the longer dragster style muscle bike.

As for the ladies bike no clue.
I had a thought of the biggest MTB rear tire I've ever seen on back and a 20" MTB front on a girls bike go threw my head as I read that. Lol

That's why I voted for the rail design. Its the longer dragster style muscle bike.
Totally agree, but it is the length that I am not liking about either design, unfortunately there is no way around the length as soon as the jackshaft gets involved... :crazy2:

As for the ladies bike no clue.
I had a thought of the biggest MTB rear tire I've ever seen on back and a 20" MTB front on a girls bike go threw my head as I read that. Lol
Well, you are on the right track, but I was thinking more along the lines of dirtbike wheels and tires, maybe 90/100/16 rear and 90/100/14 front...

Luke.

To give you an idea of the wheelbase/design issues I am having, these are examples of designs that can work with the super-fat tire and jackshaft:

14757879840_3b8471c5f2_z.jpg

14968338086_413ef09261_z.jpg

And here is more the direction I would like to go:

14842569320_7c52b11acf_z.jpg

The only way I can make it work with that short frame is to push the cranks well forward and so have to move the front wheel too:

14842683297_e8b67b7b98_z.jpg

That seems to ruin the look to me anyway...

Luke.

Any way you could run the chain back to a small shaft/gear then up to the jack shaft to keep it away from your feet to allow you to keep the peddles further back on the frame?

Still need clearance for your heels when riding... That 14" wide tire just does not work with a short wheelbase... For me Muscle bikes are all about the short wheelbase and quick handling...

Maybe I should embrace the length and build a full dragster for the Winter Build-Off and use one of my narrower tires for this build...

Luke.

WIDE CRANK...lol
Or hump that frame up taller so your crank is out in front and up above the jackshaft. That might help tie it in to your velo designs

Carl.

Last edited:
Spent some time working on sizing, fit and mockups today, and have come up with a size that works, now just need to fill out the frame design, anyone want to give it a go?

I know @bikebuilder and @GuitarlCarl will have a go and maybe @whitefiretiger if he can make it work on his phone... Anyone else is welcome too...

Here are the positions of all the relevant pieces:

15037636441_8f96aa1226_o.jpg

The parts shown should stay where they are, that is where they work the best for fit and function.

Appreciate any help you give me!

Luke.

Easier to work off of than the old layout you had made.
Here you go... Figured I'd stick to the mega krate idea you had played with.
a73fb21fd0aab2f7999e0a80524c4f7e.jpg

This looked a bit short but I'll post it too
5e78b682163c7112b9d031c928169108.jpg

Last edited:
I'd liked to have arced the top tube higher but having issues getting it to look right; thing its because the super short head tube.
Just realised, there is no reason I could not extend the forks in the middle if that helps design wise:

15041140252_824d36b4d4_o.jpg

As long as the front wheel and grips stay in the right places the forks could be made any length to suit the frame...

Luke.

I think that would make the frame more awkward. The 4" head tube limits design a little bit but I understand.

I think even ms paint I could pull off the shape better without the fork being extended.

Let me see what I can do

Edit I know it can be done but not until I can get on a computer.
Its not hard to imagine the the top tube and sear stay bar set being arced up a bit higher.

Last edited:
Mock, mock. Who's there? Hoosier... Hoosier who?

(Merle wanted to say Hoosier Daddy so badly...)

Carl.

Latest posts

Back