MBBO#07 is happening! OCT 1st 2018 to Feb 1st 2019.

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well crap, now I'm thinking about all of these parts laying around after the last BO...

..and the '41 DX frame/fork I scored last month...

..and the Jerald slick(s) that arrived a couple of weeks ago.
C'mon Dave! You can do it!

Well, not to rain on a parade, but I'm currently about to start a divorce, so I don't know if I'll be able to join this one. If I do, it'll be later on.
Sorry to hear that, man. I've been through it myself, and wouldn't wish it on anyone. Here if you need me.

Yeah me too.
Kept my life together and it's better now.
Hope you can too.

Carl.

Sorry to hear @CRASH, thoughts are with you.

I’ll probably jump in in a bit. Between procrastination, indecision and summer jobs/projects that are running well into Fall, I’m a little behind the starting gun this time around.

nice I have a set of wheels here that would be perfect for a simple muscle bike.
41779156_2093759704022572_2861516811294212096_o.jpg

Am I allowed to join if I use parts that were meant for my summer build off bike and where worked on before the MBBO start date? I want to do my version of Luke's Pedro bike.

Am I allowed to join if I use parts that were meant for my summer build off bike and where worked on before the MBBO start date? I want to do my version of Luke's Pedro bike.
As far as I'm concerned, I'd say yes. I've seen part of your pile of parts; and from what I remember, there is no discernible 'bike' that was already built.

Many of us start with parts that were intended for another build, and @GuitarlCarl is starting with a frame that he actually used in another MBBO.

I think they call it....wait for it....

Re-cycle-ing. :wondering:o_O:bigsmile:

I’ll probably jump in in a bit. Between procrastination, indecision and summer jobs/projects that are running well into Fall, I’m a little behind the starting gun this time around.

No problem PLENTY of time...
Now what's @LukeTheJoker building???

Carl.

Last edited:
I've reused parts from the past, frames included, many times before. What you CAN'T do is start assembly before 10-1-18. That said, I've always waited on subassemblies, like lacing a wheel, until the start date... so if you're comfortable with where you are then jump in bro!

Carl.

Last edited:
Um, the most glaring omission would be @LukeTheJoker .:forum:
No problem PLENTY of time...
Now what's @LukeTheJoker building???

Carl.
I had a cool idea, but struggling with the design a little.
I have a couple of other simpler ideas I can do, and if that one gets worked out I might be able to get it done in the second half of the build-off...

Been a little distracted with other things, trying to get some work finished on my car before I get distracted with a build or I will end up driving it around half finished for months...

Absolutely, and may I say, really looking forward to seeing it! :thumbsup:

Hey it's just a Thursday really early in the build off. (11 days in) But where's the buzz, where's the camaraderie? It's like crickets chirping in here. 4 months to build a bike. No hurry no urgency no excitement. Ok, so one of my builds is over the top, with some hack style fabricating and procedures I've never even attempted before but I don't think that's the norm. I'll probably need the extra 30 days. Really I suppose I just miss the banter, the flow of ideas...

chirp chirp...

It's like crickets chirping in here.
chirp chirp...

You ever heard crickets chirping slowed down? It’s quite beautiful…

Really I suppose I just miss the banter, the flow of ideas...

Well, I’m in a bit of a hurry. I have to be done by the 22nd of November which is when I travel south to deliver the bike to my great-great-niece for her birthday. I’m on target to be finished sooner than that though :whew:

Banter shmanter, no time for silly banter
I’m on a roll, moving fast, faster than a canter
No time to write a witty quip or even a humorous tease
I’ve got to keep on buzzing, like the little buzzy bees
It’s for my great great niece you see, a bike that she will ride
Off to school and home again, but with you I must confide
I worry a bit, hope she likes it, hope it’s her cup of tea
Hope she likes riding it, and when she does, she feels happy

Glen.

I feel confident with the rules for class 2...but, class 1 has confounded me a bit. When it was first introduced, I thought it was just a restoration class...but, it became clear that it wasn't that rigid early on. What I'm not sure on...is how loose can it be.

If you are starting with an original muscle bike, lets say sting ray...is it anything goes as long as you are using the original frame. Lets say...no banana, no apehangers, and no big and little...still a legitimate entry?

What about bikes like the bratz purple and stars frame...it was sold as a lowrider, does it qualify as a class 1 muscle bike in its lowrider form, or is it only usable to create an 'accurate reproduction of an original muscle bike'?

Thanks,
Jason

I feel confident with the rules for class 2...but, class 1 has confounded me a bit. When it was first introduced, I thought it was just a restoration class...but, it became clear that it wasn't that rigid early on. What I'm not sure on...is how loose can it be.

If you are starting with an original muscle bike, lets say sting ray...is it anything goes as long as you are using the original frame. Lets say...no banana, no apehangers, and no big and little...still a legitimate entry?

What about bikes like the bratz purple and stars frame...it was sold as a lowrider, does it qualify as a class 1 muscle bike in its lowrider form, or is it only usable to create an 'accurate reproduction of an original muscle bike'?

Thanks,
Jason
Rules were changed just a year or two ago, Class 1 is now for original bikes in original specifications with the exceptions of period correct accessories only.

In theory, you could rebuild a Bratz to original specs. (Why would you want to would be my question though...)
You could however use a Bratz frame to make a reproduction of a classic bike.

Thanks Luke!

I'm still not crystal clear...however (call me dense on this one). A pic is worth a thousand words. Is this legal (sting ray with period accessories)...
modified-jr-sting-ray.jpg

Is this legal (same frame as sting ray but built as a cruiser)...
1_b61affe704495f9ede314b96eeb34990.jpg

If not...what if it was sporting some ape hangers? Ape hangers and a banana?

The bratz portion of the question was kind of a restatement of @Alan Griffin 's question concerning his Joker's Wild build in his build thread.

Thanks again...sorry for being difficult

Latest posts

Back