(MBBO#05 Class 2) the UNVEGA- sneak peek & ride vid. all done.

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
OK..HERE WE GO... a step in the right direction.
After fitting everything up to check clearances, alignment etc... stripped it back down...finally got paint on it today.

After trying many different paints over the years...I came back to Duplicolor for this one. Tried to match original Univega metallic blue, but that wasn't happening...so I got some of this here fancy Engine Enamel...with ceramic something or other in it....laid out VERY smooth...I'll let it cure a couple of days, I don't see any need for clear coat..has a nice gloss, then, time to start putting it all together.
:happy:
franco

paint2.jpg

paint1.jpg

paint3.jpg

and finally....here's a Great Blue Heron all alone amongst the lily pads today....

blueheron.jpg

Alrighty then...back soon with more updates...It's getting down to the wire....:13:

OK..HERE WE GO... a step in the right direction.
After fitting everything up to check clearances, alignment etc... stripped it back down...finally got paint on it today.

After trying many different paints over the years...I came back to Duplicolor for this one. Tried to match original Univega metallic blue, but that wasn't happening...so I got some of this here fancy Engine Enamel...with ceramic something or other in it....laid out VERY smooth...I'll let it cure a couple of days, I don't see any need for clear coat..has a nice gloss, then, time to start putting it all together.
franco

View attachment 38178

View attachment 38179

View attachment 38180

and finally....here's a Great Blue Heron all alone amongst the lily pads today....

View attachment 38181

Alrighty then...back soon with more updates...It's getting down to the wire....:13:
Your very own 'bird of paradise'....love that color! And you laid it on perfectly. The definition on the lugs at the head tube, so refined! Awesome work on this Franco, looking forward to watching you dash to the Finished Line!

Your very own 'bird of paradise'....love that color! And you laid it on perfectly. The definition on the lugs at the head tube, so refined! Awesome work on this Franco, looking forward to watching you dash to the Finished Line!
Thanks Guys..yes, Mr. O.J. a dash is putting it mildly....lol...
That paint was a joy to work with...I'm back to Duplicolor now...for sure...:thumbsup:

A couple of more days...should have the 'Unvega' banged out.
Refresher: A road bike no more. 11/17/2016

mbbopan0rama.jpg

Hmmm...I know it was billed as converting a road bike to a muscle bike..but with all of that cut up tube it turned into more of a 'scratch build'

Took the last couple of days to get going on this build again...I'm usually working on two or three at a time..CList flip bikes I mean.

Wheels were sitting on the shelf for a while..so I got to putting the axles back together...As much as I measured the front dropout width, I had a devil of a time with the front...turns out I grabbed the wrong parts baggie...first the bearings were too large, and cones wouldn't seat right...plus the wrong axle...Found the right one...or at least the 'closest' one...but the lock nuts were too thick...hmmm...do I dare bend out the front fork anymore..? Nah..just got out the cut off disk and halved the nuts. Plopped right in.
mbboconenutz.jpg

greased & adjusted with the help of my handy dandy ground down 13mm cheapo Taiwanese cone wrench (everyone has some of these rolling around in the bottom of the toolbox.)...lol....no Park Tools cone wrench for this guy. Banged a little bend in the end of the wrench when it was still HOT from grinding...

mbboconenutz2.jpg

that works.

I was going to build a seat...but...well, time and all...so I ended up buying this 16" budget banana on Eebay...$5 bucks. But , on a home build like this, ya gotta fabricate some other ways of securing...so I set out to setting the 'pan'

mbbopan.jpg

I see what you did there. :happy:. Put a bend in the seatpost for the front support The backside had to bend a bracket inward to support back of seat. MacGyver'd up an old Tstrap hinge welded to the correct angle bolts coming through pan. cut down some old electrical clamps of some sort that I had in the parts bin to hold down the sissy bar clamp on the springs....and..I'll matte black all of that in so it will 'hopefully' disappear a li'l bit. Glad to report the springer sissy bar works perfectly, just the right amount of bounce to the ounce. :happy:. Plus, the bottom hole of that T hinge gonna make a good reflector holder. So far..so good.

mbbopanrear.jpg

Yes, all of the new paint is papered off. I don't know how some of you guys paint first and then assemble. When I go outside to work, I'm usually covered in black soot and grease within 5 minutes...so, use protection kids. :grin:
Aaaanyway..where were we? Oh, yeah..lets get the tires on..see if they rub. No rim strips? no problem. Electrical tape from Horrible Freight...It's actually a good tape, it's more rubber like than plastic like...wrap it 'round in one direction. One more layer in the other direction...you're good to go
mbbocrimstrips.jpg

Now, the little bike that 'could' is taking it's place out in the yard with some buddies.

mbbo11_17_2.jpg

mbbo11_17_1.jpg

Getting there alright. Next, cover the el cheapO banana with some vinyl or leather..haven't found the right match yet tho...install crank & pedals, chain, dérailleur, cabling, and some sort of shifter. Since I went freewheel, not internal geared hub, I'll probably just go with a low shifter under the seat, maybe on the seat tube? maybe on the chain stay...not sure yet. Have a nice chrome fender for the rear...no fender on front...oh..and brakes...yeah..brakes too. hmmmm. So...maybe more than a few days.

franco

Last edited:
Love reading your posts on this build!
:thumbsup:
just the right amount of bounce to the ounce. :happy:.
:21:

Keep it coming, home stretch now, bike looks great!

Luke.

I was going to build a seat...but...well, time and all...so I ended up buying this 16" budget banana on Eebay...$5 bucks. But , on a home build like this, ya gotta fabricate some other ways of securing...so I set out to setting the 'pan'

View attachment 38782

I see what you did there. :happy:. Put a bend in the seatpost for the front support The backside had to bend a bracket inward to support back of seat. MacGyver'd up an old Tstrap hinge welded to the correct angle bolts coming through pan. cut down some old electrical clamps of some sort that I had in the parts bin to hold down the sissy bar clamp on the springs....and..I'll matte black all of that in so it will 'hopefully' disappear a li'l bit. Glad to report the springer sissy bar works perfectly, just the right amount of bounce to the ounce. :happy:. Plus, the bottom hole of that T hinge gonna make a good reflector holder. So far..so good.

View attachment 38783
Nice work on the 'backside' of that seat pan Franco. A real rat-isfying build you have going here! Now bring it on home!

Starting the drive train....Got the light action dérailleur set...
It's the original from the Univega road bike

lightActionShifter.jpg

Polished up a little and getting the brake arms in place

lightActionBrake.jpg

I also got the crank on...sized chain...and wouldn't you know the chain was rubbing on the top of the stay.:doh: doh'..so I did a quick and dirty on that...working the dérailleur by hand, it seems to shift through the gears pretty good...still have to figure out a shifter for that rascal.
Then.....it got dark out...so I'll probably post some more pics tomorrow.

11/22/2016
Ok
..here's what I was screwing with all day...Using no jig on this stick built bike..apparently one chain-stay dropout is slightly higher...or lower depending on how you look at it than the other...Time for a JIG? maybe.

Last two builds have been lined up with minimal jig work...mostly by eye..I think next time I might start with something different. like...ohhh..I don't know...a BIKE. :crazy:

Rear tire just wouldn't lay in there nice n' level. so I had to round out one dropout a little at a time till I got it...then hold that side down with a hook tab washer....it's seated now as straight as it's going to be...These little bikes built from scratch are a lot less forgiving than building a full size one I'll tell ya...

mbbo11-22-widendropout.jpg

and, the cursory .."here's some parts" laid out sprayed with white Engine Enamel. nice paint..same brand I used on the frame Duplicolor.

mbbo11-22_partspainted.jpg

Last edited:
Covered the holes in the OLD Bottom Bracket from the Univega road bike with some snap in metal discs of some sort I had laying around...cool thing is...should one ever need to grease the bearings, just pop these off and jam the tip of your grease gun in there...nothing I planned, it just worked out that way by re-using the original road bike BB.
mbbo11-22-BBaccess.jpg

Got grease?
mbbo11-22-BBgreased.jpg

Last edited:
And awayyyy we go....I'll start at the rear and work my way towards front..You can see I have the dérailleur on and wired...haven't gotten to shifter yet..
mbbo11-22-1.jpg

.and, thinking about this old kickstand that I pulled off of some old beater...

mbbo11-22-2.jpg

OK...I sure hope everyone is doing fine..no one melting down I hope
Almost time to wrap it up..remember, there's no crying in bike building...:happy:
franco

Nice !
hope the drop ou fix works fine , should not be to noticable
i really like that you let the holes and the full lenght of the seat stays , it kind of tells the story of its previous road bike life

Latest posts

Back