1. Photobucket recently update their Terms of Use and are now requiring a $399/year membership fee in order to share the photos that you host with them on other websites. If you use Photobucket to host your photos and are using a FREE account, none of your photos will show up on other websites. Please upload your photos directly to the forum here and no longer use Photobucket. Click here to follow the discussion topic...
    Dismiss Notice

(MBBO#05 Class 2) Flashback GT - Done!

Discussion in 'MBBO 2016 BIKES' started by tjwilson, Sep 7, 2016.

1. tjwilson

tjwilson Pro Member

image.jpeg

Partridge Family, Brady Bunch. Jan or Marsha, Beetles or Monkees? Monkeemobile, Munster Koach. Dean Jeffries, George Barris, "Big Daddy" Roth. "Capt. Pepi's Motorcycle and Zeppelin Repair". MPC, AMT, Revell. Testors (the one that actually worked, not the one that smelled like oranges). Riding late into long warm summer nights. Street lights don't come on till ten. Who's house do we meet at tomorrow? Schwinn Stingray Fastback.

G-Matt, furyus, SwissGuy and 6 others like this.
  2. tjwilson

tjwilson Pro Member

image.jpeg

Been thinking about this design for a while. Started out with rough thumbnail sketches that were tightened up into a dimensioned drawing. From there I created rough 3D images in SketchUp. Made adjustments in SketchUp and then tweaked the line drawing.

Last edited: Sep 9, 2016
  3. tjwilson

tjwilson Pro Member

Here's a few of the 3D images. Things will change once I start cutting and bending metal but, this is the general direction. Haven't decided on colors yet.

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

4. tjwilson

tjwilson Pro Member

Rims are ACS Stealth three spokes rescued from the trash. I've had them for about five years waiting for the right project. Tires are 20 x 2.4 Odyssey Hawk and 20 x 1.5 Kenda Kwest.

image.jpeg

5. tjwilson

tjwilson Pro Member

Pieces and parts. Should be able to dive into the metal work in a week or so!

image.jpeg

6. CRASH

CRASH

However you do in the voting, you certainly win the planning/design vote from me! 3D rendition? Whoa!!

7. Falstaff

Falstaff

Interesting

tjwilson and LukeTheJoker like this.
  8. OneHorsePower

OneHorsePower

Cool plan ! i hope you can pull it off , it will be awesome :rockout:

9. RustyGold

RustyGold

Wow...outstanding design, love it!

Jason

10. Chad T

Chad T

Love the wheel/tire combo. Looks like you've got a great plan.

11. LukeTheJoker

LukeTheJoker Moderator

Wow! Been waiting for this since you dropped that first photo in the ideas thread, I love it!

Luke.

tjwilson likes this.
  12. johnp.smith

johnp.smith

Wow. Im following. I cant believesome of the frame designs Ive seen on this site. Im rooting for this one

LukeTheJoker and tjwilson like this.
  13. The Renaissance Man

The Renaissance Man __CERTIFIED DIVER__ (Open Water & Open Dumpster) Pro Member

Beautiful design!
    My one concern would be the strength of the tubing holding your weight on the seat with out the advantage of full triangulation. I do see a small triangle under the front of the seat and hopefully it will suffice.

LukeTheJoker and tjwilson like this.
  14. tjwilson

tjwilson Pro Member

Thanks! I suspect I'm not the only one doing this much/type of prep. Just showing my cards early in the game ;)

LukeTheJoker likes this.
  15. tjwilson

tjwilson Pro Member

Thanks! Strength in the seating area is a concern for sure. I plan to run the top bar close to the back end of the seat. Then connect that to the sides creating a triangular truss where most weight/stress will be in the seating area. Suppose the first wheelie will reveal the wisdom of that design choice!

16. tjwilson

tjwilson Pro Member

Just one last fluff image before getting to something of substance (and bike build related). Earlier this week I got back from a two week road trip of the American Southwest. Saw the most amazing rainbow at Arches National Park.

archesNP.jpg

And so, ahem, speaking of arches...

17. tjwilson

tjwilson Pro Member

Started bending up the main tubes for the frame backbone. Hard to see in the images but, I printed out and spliced together a sideview drawing at actual size to use as a guide.

bends01.jpg

bends02.jpg

bends03.jpg

18. tjwilson

tjwilson Pro Member

So this is probably the most ridiculous reuse of a headtube, ever! The headtube is from what remained after previous projects of a Schwinn Suburban. The thought was to cut off the twin downtubes leaving short ends attached to the headtube. These ends would then be ground down so the new top and down tubes could slip over them, strengthening the joint. Ended up not being enough material on the short ends for this to work. I've cut those completely off and am in the process of adding short tubes that the top and down tubes will now slip over. Would have been easier to start with a tube that had the same ID and OD as the headtube. But hey, I did save myself from having to drill and tap two small holes for a headbadge that I haven't decided yet if I'm going to use. ;)

headtube01.jpg

headtube02.jpg

headtube03.jpg

headtube04.jpg

headtube05.jpg

Hopefully this will be a productive weekend and I'll have more to post soon.

19. LukeTheJoker

LukeTheJoker Moderator

Glad this one has started, been looking forward to it!

Luke.

OneHorsePower likes this.
  20. Falstaff

Falstaff

I've been to arches, and all over this beauty we call America.....That's a once in a lifetime scene, let alone getting a shot of it.

Chad T and GuitarlCarl like this.