(MBBO#04 Class 1)The master-gasser

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
So earlier this summer my daughter and I were at a little festival wondering about and there was a small car show, you know the ones where 10-20 people park and mingle about. Sitting w/ the beautifully restored 40s and 50s cars and the other usual suspects, lowriders w/ air suspension and fully original single owner classics, sat a glorious gasser. Completely gutted except the things that barely made it legal to drive there. It hadn't seen a lick of paint since the day it rolled off the showroom floor. As we walked by the other cars reading the bios, watching some lower and rise the gasser fired up sending the cotton candy falling from the soccer moms fingers. We both smiled. That was our favorite car there. It was built to be driven. you could touch it, hear it, and see it. There were no velvet ropes or signs protecting it. It didn't need them. So that's the inspiration here. A punky little gasser. Here's what I have to start w/.

A 24" amf roadmaster

I'll try and get better pix later after I break it down

The plan I think is to find or chop or smash or somehow put some mean-... chopper forks on her. Maybe a suicide shifter or break or both. Yeah. I don't really have much more then that as of now. I do know that I gotta start hunting parts that aren't attached to bikes.

I'm new here and this looks fun.

Cheers

Cool theme. Those 24x1.75 cheater slicks are out there for a bit of coin. I think the last one I saw was 75 bucks on ebay.

Cool theme. Those 24x1.75 cheater slicks are out there for a bit of coin. I think the last one I saw was 75 bucks on ebay.

Yeah. They are pricey. I will probably let her pick out the tire scheme. (Probably)

Looks like a great father/daughter project!

I love Gassers. My brain is running into a wall with how to bring a Gasser look to a bike. So this is me banging around some ideas hoping to help you out.

A Gasser has fat rears and skinny and much smaller fronts, but a reverse rake. That's going to be the tough part.

How do you get a tall reverse rake without making it look like a chopper? My thought would be a fat 24" in the back with a thick tire, then a small... maybe 16" up front. A loooong triple tree with only a shallow head angle. The fork would have to be long enough to actually push the frame UP while utilizing that 16" wheel.

P4090039.jpg

Your mileage may vary! :D I look forward to seeing what you do with it!

Sounds like a cool plan!

I love Gassers. My brain is running into a wall with how to bring a Gasser look to a bike. So this is me banging around some ideas hoping to help you out.

A Gasser has fat rears and skinny and much smaller fronts, but a reverse rake. That's going to be the tough part.

How do you get a tall reverse rake without making it look like a chopper? My thought would be a fat 24" in the back with a thick tire, then a small... maybe 16" up front. A loooong triple tree with only a shallow head angle. The fork would have to be long enough to actually push the frame UP while utilizing that 16" wheel.

P4090039.jpg

Your mileage may vary! :D I look forward to seeing what you do with it!

Yeah. That's basically my plan. The fork is going to be the real challenge especially because I cannot bring home anymore "stray" frames w/o risking becoming one myself. Hopefully there will be some end of year yard sales.

Just tossin' ideas..... seems like a gasser would be cool with a leaf spring springer fork!

My 1st 20" was :
1973 Cheater Slick;
Exactly like that :cool2:
Man,I feltl nine years old again:
viewing that pic. :thumbsup:
Thanks for sharing.:agree:

I feel bad cannibalizing it. I would happily trade it off for a set of bars, bearings and a 'nanner

Latest posts

Back