(MBBO#04 Class 1) - B4C builds Hooligan!

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
OK, guys and gals....I'm throwing myself at the mercy of the forum...

See, I have this bike, a 20" boys Western Flyer pre-musclebike standard that I have had for over a year, thanks to a good car buddy, Russell. Standard, in that it had a standard middleweight-style seat (although small in scale) and standard bars. I would say it's a mid-60's bike as it shares much with the Murray-built bikes of the same era.

Here's the rub...Back in the spring I had the opportunity to have Outlawalice powdercoat two frames for me, one Spaceliner frame that became Immaculate Deception (BO 10 entry)and the WF mentioned above. I have been collecting bits and pieces for it and two other bikes in process, but have not had a chance to get anything done with it. I had I.D. to complete (btw...it's a BLAST to ride!) and I'm still in the midst of building a 10x14 shed to house my 2-wheeled addictions.

With the forum's blessing, I would LOVE to build "Hooligan" for MBBO#4, even though it is already powdercoated. I have some cool ideas that, if I can pull them off, will make a really cool custom muscle bike, mixing 60's style and 80's funk into a stellar 21st century big-kid's bike!

Awaiting you thumbs up, but preparing for the other direction....

I guess it is similar to someone building up a bike with the original paint and not re-spraying it, but at the same time, it is not original paint and it was done for this bike...

Leaving this one in the hands of the group, in some ways it could be considered gaining an advantage over others, maybe a small time penalty to even things up?

Normally takes a week for me here to get a frame back from coating, is a week start postponement for B4C's build a fair idea?

Luke.

I don't think powdercoat is really building it yet...
It's not like we ALL have to paint our bikes,
I'm sure some will go with a prepainted finish...
Hmm, penalty time out...
I'm good either way.

Carl.

Luke, I'm game for a time penalty. Just don't enforce the time it took for ME to get the frame back from the shop....I'm 6 hours away! Dropped it off in spring, picked it up the last week in July!!! :)

Thanks guys! I'm going to self-impose a one-week penalty in good faith!

As far as the frame in question, here is a 10-minute mock-up back in spring, trying to find direction...

R2JvQiFxYeoN0JK4oY34SRD0aOdLF6_6vH844021j_7O=w933-h700-no

e22aCQI0HWIaCpnBGe8etsVQvuXJ7v6EEM1APDiJOWo8=w933-h700-no

Last edited:
I'm not sure how this one works.
On one hand you already started work on the frame by having it coated, but on the other hand you obviously didn't intend to use the frame for the mbbo or you would have waited to coat it. Right?

To me personally,I don't think it gives you an unfair advantage. Unless the powder is a custom multi color metal flake job. If it's just one solid color then I don't care myself.
The frame I'm using came coated from the factory,so I'm starting with a pre coated frame. But I'm gonna strip it down to repaint.

Arguments could go either way on this,but I'm not opposed to you using the frame in question. But this is kind of Luke's baby,I'll let him decide. I'm just giving my long winded 2 cents.

Thanks for the guidance and approval! This is going to be FUN!!!

I have several options for wheels pending. I WILL use them...but maybe not on Hooligan.

"MY"" build will start on 9/9/15 (my dad's birthday!) I know that's over a week, but I'm taking into account that there's a holiday in there! :wink1:

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

@karfer67 is gonna love the build name
This is going to be a cool build

Really digging the Mags :thumbsup:

Thanks for letting me play!!!

I'm still self-imposing the penalty...just to be a good sport! Still won't win but I can participate, right! Nowadays, that's justification for a trophy! [emoji15]

Don't get me started....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Latest posts

Back