(MBBO04C1) '67 HUFFY "The Musclepunk"

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Oooooh, those were some good noodles!

Sounds like that hub grease fling was sort of like re-creating a CV boot tear on a C4 UrS4 :D

That hub came out beautiful!
Looking forward to seeing the rim...

Thanks Luke. That got me through another couple hours on this torture device I built for myself. :21:

sanding2_zps3naagguh.jpg~original

Oooooh, those were some good noodles!

Sounds like that hub grease fling was sort of like re-creating a CV boot tear on a C4 UrS4 :D

The hub noodle was great. Rim noodle was another story. Tough noodle that rim.

Once I got it to the finer grit paper (600) I took it inside to the sink. This pic is pre polish. I have not touched it with polish yet. Just sandpaper.

rim1_zpsoz4xceob.jpg~original

Sanding is the key to a good polish job. This ended up being 120 grit power sander then by hand, some coarse steel wool then 320 wet/dry then 600/1200/2000. Pic above was right after some 2000 grit with soap then just a rinse and wipe with a towel.

Lots of sanding. Glad it's over. Taking a coffee break before I go hit it with some polish. :)

Glad I caught up here,learned some new stuff. I've read that oven cleaner works on powder coat too.

Good tip. Powder coat is a real bear to sand through. I've thought about heat. I guess the thing with the powder is to burn it off?

Time for a couple fun jobs. Thanks for getting me through all that sanding fellas.

Thank you! Like that new ride you got.

Here we go. Polishing went well. This is about as shiny as I can get it.

Getting ready for some fun!

rim2_zpscjzfdqh7.jpg~original

I really like the proportion of the lettering on the 20 X 1 1/8 Powerblock. One of the few matching sets you can get for a 20/24 wheel bike.

Should have this put together soon.

Looking great Chad !!' This bike is shining up like a new penny . Great details to me that's what real separates the men from
The boys . The star rims are way cool never seen them before & got to love a stick shifter [emoji106][emoji106]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thank you fellas.

Had a minor setback. Started lacing the wheel and when I got to the last spoke on the first side I noticed I was going to have an extra hole in the hub. :39:

Seems the 32h rim I ordered from proscloset on ebay is actually a 28h rim. The irony of that is I actually looked for a 28 hole rim and couldn't find one. I wanted to use the original Huffy hub so that's what I did. Wasn't sure it would clean up but it did. Chucked it up in the drill just like the other one then hit it with the Makita and put the axle back in it with the Huffy bearings after I cleaned and lubed them.

hub6_zpsgijhbceb.jpg~original

Got the wheel all laced up with the original hub so that worked out OK. Now it has 36 spokes in the rear and 28 in the front like some of the early early muscle bikes.

Put the wheel on the bike and kept adding parts until she was a rider.

Took a ride on it with my kid. He says it looks pretty cool. It's a great riding bike and the shifter works great.

Will get some pics later when it's light out.

Incredible transformation on the rim!

Wow!:43::43::43:
rims2_zpsiptyrjus.jpg~original

rim2_zpscjzfdqh7.jpg~original

It's a shame that when you post your final picture in the voting booth, most people will not have a clue about the hours of work involved. It will just look like a nice new chrome wheel unless they go back through the build thread. Some of us know though!:41:

Yes, we will know RM! Hopefully we will remember by that time...sometimesheimers....I ran into that a bit I think by posting my bike in the Finished Thread so early during BO-X. People forgot about the steps and documentation along the way because they had not looked at the thread for so long. Anyway, at least I get to use that "soapbox" smiley face now...Haha! :soapbox:

Shame you cant use the awesome hub, but good that you had a backup!

I was bummed at first but I'm glad it's 28 hole. I like having a lower spoke count in the front. Gives a subtle type of stagger. The original cleaned up nice. Polished cad plating looks a lot like chrome.

hub7_zpsc2oifnvr.jpg~original

I think it will work out better for the overall look of the bike. It's like a "The Rail" hub. :D

rim3_zpsfup03nbv.jpg~original

Incredible transformation on the rim!

Wow!:43::43::43:

It's a shame that when you post your final picture in the voting booth, most people will not have a clue about the hours of work involved. It will just look like a nice new chrome wheel unless they go back through the build thread. Some of us know though!:41:

Thank you TRM!

I've already forgotten about all the filing and sanding. It takes a special kind of madness to whittle down a rim like that. I've like to do it since I was a kid though. This is the 5th rim I've done like that in the last year.

Polished alum doesn't look like chrome but it looks good. Polished alum makes it look faster. Can't buy this wheel anywhere...:)

rim4_zps5kfsv6xu.jpg~original

The original fork on this bike was bent real bad. I bought a 27 inch road bike fork but it looked ridiculous so I got this 24 inch NOS Wald chrome fork from the eighties. Missing chrome in patches but what's there is pretty shiny.

Once I got the rim finished I had to pick some goodies off the pile to make her a runner. Not sure if I'll keep the long nanner or not. I like it but if I use it I want to drill the sissy holes farther back and re-cover it. Not sure if I want to try and tackle re-covering a single pan seat. I also have a nice NOS Person's donor for a recover with red glitter vinyl.

She's starrting to get a look going.

mp3_zpslvknafpz.jpg~original

mp4_zpsn97qsoch.jpg~original

mp5_zps8murjah1.jpg~original

mp6_zps9cjvrdsf.jpg~original

Bike rides great. Very smooth....quick...feels light. Shifter action is very light and crisp. Lots of fun. I'm going to gear it down just a shade with a 20t cog for the back. (It's 18t now).

I ran into that a bit I think by posting my bike in the Finished Thread so early during BO-X. People forgot about the steps and documentation along the way because they had not looked at the thread for so long. Anyway, at least I get to use that "soapbox" smiley face now...Haha! :soapbox:

I'm the same way. I've got more projects planned for this bike...hopefully I can drag it out...oh wait a minute...I'm building a 7 speed Stingray too..:eek: Guess I better get busy on that. :D

Last edited:
I was bummed at first but I'm glad it's 28 hole. I like having a lower spoke count in the front. Gives a subtle type of stagger. The original cleaned up nice. Polished cad plating looks a lot like chrome.

hub7_zpsc2oifnvr.jpg~original

I think it will work out better for the overall look of the bike. It's like a "The Rail" hub. :D

rim3_zpsfup03nbv.jpg~original

Thank you TRM!

I've already forgotten about all the filing and sanding. It takes a special kind of madness to whittle down a rim like that. I've like to do it since I was a kid though. This is the 5th rim I've done like that in the last year.

Polished alum doesn't look like chrome but it looks good. Polished alum makes it look faster. Can't buy this wheel anywhere...:)

rim4_zps5kfsv6xu.jpg~original

The original fork on this bike was bent real bad. I bought a 27 inch road bike fork but it looked ridiculous so I got this 24 inch NOS Wald chrome fork from the eighties. Missing chrome in patches but what's there is pretty shiny.

Once I got the rim finished I had to pick some goodies off the pile to make her a runner. Not sure if I'll keep the long nanner or not. I like it but if I use it I want to drill the sissy holes farther back and re-cover it. Not sure if I want to try and tackle re-covering a single pan seat. I also have a nice NOS Person's donor for a recover with red glitter vinyl.

She's starrting to get a look going.

mp3_zpslvknafpz.jpg~original

mp4_zpsn97qsoch.jpg~original

mp5_zps8murjah1.jpg~original

mp6_zps9cjvrdsf.jpg~original

Bike rides great. Very smooth....quick...feels light. Shifter action is very light and crisp. Lots of fun. I'm going to gear it down just a shade with a 20t cog for the back. (It's 18t now).

I'm the same way. I've got more projects planned for this bike...hopefully I can drag it out...oh wait a minute...I'm building a 7 speed Stingray too..:eek: Guess I better get busy on that. :D
Yeah, I ended up building this klunker during the last 3 weeks of the BO-X just cause I was bored and everybody else was still building...so. Really would have liked to build it during the winter BO but, well, it's built and it rides great.

Btw, your bike looks great! Love the polishing technique and the great results. Nice clean build, looks fast and tough. Hot rod muscle bike. Not sure what I would add to it....

Thank you!

Cool Klunker. I was painting and finishing this during the end of boten.

silver6_zpss9cpdjrm.jpg~original

One of my MBBO bikes from last year that I started with 2 weeks left.

For me the bikes kind of happen at their own pace. Beautiful fall weather here. Perfect for fiddling with bikes. Once winter hits I don't do much with the bikes. Then it's Legos and slot car time.

Stupendous! I don't think you have built a bike yet that I would not want to own. I want to ride all of them. You and Rob should load up a truck and come to Kansas for one of our bike shows.

Latest posts

Back