Matti goes shopping. New bike phobia

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
One set of those Maguras are worth more than what you paid! Supposed to be the most powerful rim brakes money can buy! And don't get me started on the Girvin! I've wanted to try out one of those things for years!
Not even a little bit interested in full suspension. I've done lift serviced downhill runs on my hardtail with less than 60mm of front travel. I ain't riding that hard anymore, and the squish in the back just kills the ride for me.

Keep an eye out for a Kona Unit or Surly Karate Monkey. I have frequently seen them for around $500-800 USD sometimes even less for an early KM (I saw one of the FB Surly sale group not long ago for $350). Those may be great for you and will last forever.

For sure! I've heard great things about Karate Monkey, and great name too!

Or there is the 1x1. I found one for my wife for $300. Hers has rim brakes (but it is late enough to also have disc brake mounts), Chris King headset and Richey seatpost. Can handle 26, 26+, 27.5 (even large sizes like 2.6) and I have seen some with small 29in tires. I have also seen them with 24 fat (like 3.5 wide street tires).

I don't think 1x is what I'm looking for with this one. I need a go anywhere, do anything bike, and that includes front suspension, and at least 1x9 gears, or 2 or 3x8. If the RockRat doesn't wind up 1x1, there will be a klunker/bomber down the road that'll be single speed. Worksman or Heavi-duti style.

Remember when I said I wasn't interested in full suspension?
Santa Cruz rhymes with hard to refuse!
ad_1573135139324.jpg

Only asking the $400.And the parts list!
"Santa Cruz Superlight version 1 (2002 I believe) aluminum frame XC or trail bike.
Rear wheel: XTR hub, Mavic X 517 rim 26”
Front wheel: Bici hub, Mavic X 222 rim 26”
XTR drivetrain (rear and front derailleurs, trigger shifters, 3X gearing)
XTR V-brakes, SRAM SL 9.0 levers
Thompson seat post
Easton aluminum stem
Easton Monday Bar carbon handlebars
Rock Shox Duke fork (100 mm)
Fox Float RC shock (100 mm)
Race Face crankset
Will also include extra XTR front wheel and built up rear wheel without bearings (shell and wheel)
Will also include lower profile racey tires
Pedals not included
This was my XC race bike in the day and was slightly changed up to be my wife’s trail bike. I’m 5’8” and she’s about 5’5” and worked for both of us set up appropriately.
Some play in shock mount, suspension could use a tune but as it stands it still rides beautifully. "
Here's the hub.
ad_1573135150936.jpg

Somebody remind me that I want a hardtail. And a medium is too small. And it's been ridden hard. And probably needs a rear end rebuild..

Funky style and a cool color. I kinda like it.

Obligatory detractions as requested:
But the yellow forks stand out a little much.
The frame does look smallish. And more maintenance and future expenditures than a hardtail.

I'd almost buy it just for all the 26" wheelsets. Those aren't getting any more common... And all the xtr I could fit on the RockRat. Plus, I could convert the front end on my wife's GT to threadless and use the Rockshok there. After that, sell the frame. Ugh choices

Has anyone got any information about Conti bicycles? This one is confounding my search efforts. All the googulator wants to do is sell me Continental tires. Any actual bike info is about Conti road bikes from Italy. This ain't a road bike, and not Italian. But I do like the company it keeps!
ad_0_1574083864508.jpg
ad_4_1574083864525.jpg
ad_1_1574083864514.jpg
ad_3_1574083864521.jpg

This one has caught me eye...
I'm verrrrry interested in Kona, I've heard they're tons o fun! Anybody want to share experiences? I've heard that they're sized odd, smaller than usual or something. I'm 5'9ish, seller lists as medium, so it might work...
ad_1583097637312.jpg

Latest posts

Back