Manta Racer MBBO class 2

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Ok, so I'm jumping in late. Not only that, but I don't even have the bike in my possession yet... it was a Craigslist deal that I am planning on picking up when I go visit family for the holidays. It just might work, though, since it's really going to be just some mild parts swapping. And I wanted to get a thread started to keep myself motivated.

Backstory: I started riding with a local group a couple years ago. Several of the guys have vintage Fastbacks, and there's an old Manta in the mix too. I tried them and like the way they ride with the narrow tires, and I would LOVE to get myself a Fastback or Manta, but as they go for huge $$$ I have had to content myself with 26" Collegiates, which are much more affordable. But I've been on the lookout for a 24" Speedster to convert into a low-budget Manta, and I found one on Craigslist a few states away where my parents live. So I struck a deal with the seller this week and he was kind enough to agree to hold it for me till I get out that way for Thanksgiving. I don't want to jinx myself and post the Craigslist pics before I even have the bike, so for now I'm just starting with some parts I am rounding up:

I picked up this ratty 24" Collegiate a while back because it had a decent set of 24" S-5/S-6s and plenty of other parts to donate to other projects. Now it will be giving up its chain guard (if I can get it straight enough to use) and probably the crank and Mag sprocket too.

20181118_141858.jpg

Then this just showed up on the front porch today. I BIN'd it off eBay on Thursday, I am amazed that it got here so fast.

20181118_170423.jpg

That's all for now, can't wait till I have more to post...

Can’t wait to watch this build. I recently built a low buck Collegiate manta clone. Did it as a what if Schwinn built one in 1979. I hope to score a Manta-Ray one day
df0ecb4475977f76fd0647e3f6f3b4af.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

hey I remember this bike! around the time you were getting it put together, I was working on this, based on a 26" Ross Compact:

20180628_155312.jpg

is yours a 24" or a 26"?

Aaaaand we have our starting point. '66 Speedster. Picture doesn't do the color justice.

20181123_122722.jpg

I kinda feel a little guilty taking it apart, but the parts are all going to be set aside so it can be put back to original easily.

It's just BEGGING to be a Manta when it grows up...

Now comes the job of getting this thing stuffed in the minivan along with 5 people and a dog and the stuff they brought for a holiday weekend at Grandma's...

20181124_193143.jpg

Aaaaand it's time for everybody's favorite vacation game, Travel Tetris!

20181124_195155.jpg

20181124_200848.jpg

(this was all actually last night. I'm happy to report that everyone and everything made it home safe and sound at like 2AM. I will start fooling with it some more after I've had a morning nap.)

starting to look like a muscle bike.

20181125_192605.jpg

also considering a blue seat, but the one I have on hand is cheap looking.

20181125_200422 (2).jpg

I also have a couple of white sparkle seats I can rob from other bikes.

I have another sissy on the way that may end up getting used, and there's a shifter in the works, and I have some ideas for the guard, depending on how it all works out. Also needs new cables and a tube for the rear.

starting to look like a muscle bike.

View attachment 86790

also considering a blue seat, but the one I have on hand is cheap looking.

View attachment 86791

I also have a couple of white sparkle seats I can rob from other bikes.

I have another sissy on the way that may end up getting used, and there's a shifter in the works, and I have some ideas for the guard, depending on how it all works out. Also needs new cables and a tube for the rear.

Looks great !!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I got the 'blues' too ^ . Maybe throw a little clear glitter lacquer over the blue on the frame. :nerd:

Ok so not much of an update other than a few proper white garage door shots...
20181202_132546.jpg

...though I did put on some gray brake cables and a seat that looks a little more "right" for the bike.
20181202_132726.jpg

Some cool vintage bike shop stickers...
20181202_132831.jpg
20181202_132853.jpg

and I'm just overall digging the color and the vibe of this bike.
20181202_132646.jpg
20181202_132813.jpg

Side note: has anyone ever successfully drilled and re-tapped one of these? I'm assuming the dissimilar metals thing did this one in... the aluminum adjuster was completely fused to the steel attachment. I drilled it out and made it ridable, but I can't use it for adjustments. Alternately, does anyone have an extra they'd sell me? I need the little steel piece that bolts to the brake arm (Weinmann) and the aluminum adjuster barrel.
20181202_132755.jpg

From this point out, it's just a bunch of details. I have a Mag sprocket for it, and a shifter, and I have some ideas for doing something unusual to the guard. So it's not going to be a show-stopper or anything. I am thrilled, however, to have this bike as a rider for when our group starts back up in the spring. I was getting jealous of my friends' Fastbacks and Mantas. :envy::grin::21:

(edit: how can I get the sideways pics to show up straight? they are straight in my phone and on my computer...)

Latest posts

Back