Making own cranks

Discussion in 'HOW TO' started by Starnger, Mar 9, 2019.

1. Starnger

Starnger

Hi guys! Has anyone here tried to make home-brew cranks? Maybe euro-style square crank arms? Or just heavily modified existing ones. I am very curious about that.

2. Dizzle Problems

Dizzle Problems

Haven’t, but sounds like an awesome endeavor!

Starnger likes this.
  3. TroutFishingInAmerica

TroutFishingInAmerica

firebikes-cranckset.png
    This pic was from Firebikes in Canada I believe, not 100% sure about that. What I do remember was I contacted them for a set and they custom made them 1 at a time and it was out of my range. They would be heavy, but man are they cool. I saved the pic because I thought it looked like something that could be home built. These babies look so tough! Hope this gives you some ideas, like to see what you come up with.

4. LukeTheJoker

LukeTheJoker Moderator

Saving that pic to my ideas file!

Captain Awesome and RustyGold like this.
  5. us56456712

us56456712

Lake Superior Shore, Upper Peninsula of Michigan
    For years I've though about taking a vintage mountain bike crank and milling a grove with a router and homemade jig in the face of the crank arms so it would look like a 1970s crank but have the ability to mount small chainrings. I wanted to do this for my Klunkers so they would have the classic look but have the ability to use more appropriate chainrings (64 BCD). I figure I would ruin several arms and router bits before I perfected a jig and the technique so I never have tried it. Can't figure out exactly how to do it so it works the first time if it would work at all.

6. Captain Awesome

Captain Awesome

Same here!

LukeTheJoker likes this.
  7. GuitarlCarl

GuitarlCarl

I always thought it'd be cool to find a pair of identical heavy farm implement wrenches. (especially an S curved pair) Crank arms, fork rockers, there's a lot of cool things you could fab up. But finding a PAIR of them is the hard part.

Carl.

Starnger and horsefarmer like this.
  8. us56456712

us56456712

Lake Superior Shore, Upper Peninsula of Michigan
    There is a high wheeler on the net that someone made many years ago from scratch. A lot of detailed pictures of the fab work. Antique sewing machine rear wheel and garden hose tires. The crank arms were made from wrenches. He made everything including the pedals and bars. I don't know the site. Might give you some ideas if you can find it.