Making My Own Head Badges

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I decided to try this out but with a vinyl cut out. I used gray vinyl since it was already in the plotter.

I decided to try this out but with a vinyl cut out. I used gray vinyl since it was already in the plotter.

IMG00386-20111013-1522.jpg

Its in the acid right now. I'll let you know how it turns out

So after 20 minutes I didn't see much etching so I added another 1/2 cup of acid and I check in a little spot that I had painted black

IMG00387-20111013-1555.jpg

Not bad but I want more depth so in it goes another 10

i got drunk yesterday and forgot to finish this.

so after i added another 1/2 cup of acid i was pleased.

IMG00388-20111013-1608.jpg

now i said, what if i add some color since the part that was going to show was still covered

white primer
IMG00389-20111013-1612.jpg

a little rattle can color blend, red and cream
IMG00390-20111013-1618.jpg

now i have a problem because i just cant wait until it dries, so while the paint was wet i cut it
IMG00391-20111013-1642.jpg

removed the vinyl and about a million fingerprints later
IMG00392-20111013-1651.jpg

so i was not feeling the fingerprints so i removed all the paint
IMG00393-20111013-1716.jpg

maybe next time i'll cut it and then paint it!

Great Turorial, Thanks! I didnt notice anyone else mention this but PC Board etching solution that is available at radioshack will do the same thing to brass and copper as the muriatic. Also is slightly less dangerous to work with... However you still want to have good ventalation and wear gloves as PCB(Ferric Chloric acid) will also still burn bare skin.

rs%20etchant.JPG

CycleTruck said:
Great job axsepul!

Thanks! I made 4 today just for fun but should be good for awhile cause cutting that outer edge with the dremel really takes a lot. Maybe with a really thin band saw would be a lot easier.

Looks great! Another badge maker in the ranks. You young guys with your high tech stuff are pretty clever. 8) Gary

B607 said:
You young guys with your high tech stuff are pretty clever.
LOL and I'm at the in-between age where I'm not quite old enough to have a wealth of tried and tested, old school knowledge nor am I quite young enough to take all the new technology for granted. I guess the upside is I find learning the traditional methods and the new methods equally exciting :p

its true, i'm addicted to making badges now. here are two i did today. the pioneer headbadge and the sporter

pioneerbadge.jpg

sporterbadge.jpg

i will also like to add to this tutorial that i've found out that just because you dip two badges at the same time it doesnt mean that it will etch both at the same time. the more the badges the more time it takes to etch and i've also found out that to get a really nice deep etch it will take about an hour for one plus it needs to be agitated to achieve a nice deep etch

Now when I see a badge I won't know if it's an original or made by one of you guys. :shock: I can't believe the quality you are getting.
I don't need any badges but I'm trying to think of something else you can make for me with your etching. :?: Keep up the good work! Gary

Yo ax....you got this so dialed in.....awesomic_curopic_cur_post_id=460627

Totally Awesome. I've been trying some etching recently, and I have to admit, my results don't even come close...but I'm determined. Any specifics you'd like to share would be great...I promise under pain of death to keep your secrets :D :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

NewOrleansFlyer said:
Totally Awesome. I've been trying some etching recently, and I have to admit, my results don't even come close...but I'm determined. Any specifics you'd like to share would be great...I promise under pain of death to keep your secrets :D :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Let me know exactly what you are doing. I'll help you out

I'm guessing "C"...I'll PM you on what I'm doing and how I'm doing it...Thanks Ax!

Latest posts

Back