Making A Windshield

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
I work in an Industrial Tool and Supply store and as I was handing a customer a replacement face shield lens I had a eureka moment........WINDSHIELD! Below find a parts list and some simple instructions.

Parts:

Bike Windshield Parts.JPG

- Replacement face shield 15-1/2" x 8-1/2". These come as a splash shield or an impact shield. I used the impact shield.
- Flat aluminum bar stock 3/4" x 1/8" x 36". Cut this into 2 pieces 15" long. File edges smooth.
- Truck door edge molding (comes in package of 2, each 48" long but only need to use 1 piece).
- 2 pieces 1" Insulated Cable Clamp (found in the electrical department).
- 2 flat head phillips screws 1" x 10-32 (for use with clamps).
- 2 flat head phillips screws 3/4" x 10-32.
- 4 nylon lock nuts 10-32
- 8 #10 finishing washers.

Construction notes:
- On one of the 15" bar stock, find and mark the center. Then mark 2-1/2" to either side of the center mark. In the center of each of these 2 marks drill a 3/16" hole.
- On the same bar stock, mark 1/2" in from each end. In the center of each of these 2 marks drill a 3/16" hole.
- Bar stock should have 4 holes drilled in it. Place this on top of the 2nd piece of bar stock and line up to match. Now duct tape these two together, maintaining alignment. Using the 4 holes as guides, drill into 2nd piece of bar stock. Remove tape when finished.
- Peel off the protective covering from both sides of the shield.
- Center one of the pieces of bar stock on the bottom shield. There should be a 3/8" space on either side of the bar. Tape in place with
masking tape, making sure of alignment. On the backside of the shield, line up the 2nd piece of bar stock with the front and tape in place. Maintaining alignment, drill out plastic shield if necessary (there are already some holes at the bottom).
- Using the two 3/4" screws, place a finishing washer on each. Place these through the 2 center holes. Once through the shield, place a washer on each, and the a lock nut on each. Tighten screws. Tape can now be removed.
- Place the two pipe clamps on each side of the handlebar, with the flat side of the clamp facing to the front. Put a finishing washer on each of the 1" screws, then slide these through the holes on each end of the shield. Next, mount the shield on the handlebars with the screws through the clamps. Put a finishing washer and lock nut on each screw, then tighten.
- Mount the Truck door edging after the windshield is placed on the bike. Start at one side, carefully pushing the edging on the windshield. Once it gets to the other side, it can be trimmed even. Voila, a windshield!

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back