Made in the Shade

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If you look closely, you can see the wasp nest that still resides inside of the tank.
DSCN0769.JPG
DSCN0784.JPG

The kickstand that I bought on ebay came with an old horn. I really didn't even notice it on the auction. I almost told the seller to just keep it. Then I took a good look at it when it arrived. This horn has a copper top!!! And it has patina'd out beautifully to that greenish-gray color. It is one of those bar mount type horns which means that it has to be on one side or the other of the stem. And I don't care for that unsymmetrical look. Then I looked at the 1920's motorbike stem that I am using for this build and it looked to be about the same diameter as the bars (and that it is horizontal). So , this is what I came up with. Looks like it's been there forever. I call it the UFO horn! And it works too! What a happy accident!
DSCN0782.JPG
DSCN0781.JPG
DSCN0788.JPG

DSCN0787.JPG

Last edited:
I am starting to feel like this build is really coming together. Since the "good" side of the bike is arguably the left side, I am considering not using a chainguard like I originally intended. Then I remembered what LukeTheJoker said about the clay tires looking best without a chainguard. And since I really don't want to use black tires..........and cream tires wouldn't look right..........I am curious how the clay tires would look on the original "white" rims. So far, just an experimental thought.

Since this build has slowed down to a crawl, I have decided to enter another bike for a build. I have really been inspired to build one of those Austrailian dragster-style bikes. I am entering it in to the class 2 section because I am not allowed to enter another bike in class 1. It is called the "KRAZY ORANGE DRAGSTER". Please check it out.

Last edited:
Since this build has slowed down to a crawl, I have decided to enter another bike for a build. I have really been inspired to build one of those Austrailian dragster-style bikes. I am entering it in to the class 2 section because I am not allowed to enter another bike in class 1. It is called the "KRAZY ORANGE DRAG BIKE". Please check it out.

If it wasn't for the fact that I already have bikes in both classes, and that I already spent a lot of money on parts I would say - "It is ON!" :21:

I have a great, folding base for a bike like this & would totally like to build it, but it needs a lot of new parts, and I can't build 3 bikes in only 3 months... or... can I?

Will totally watch that one!

Still loving this build. The tank is awesome. It would be cool if you could apply some hidden backing to it that suspends it together. Maybe a paper mache mesh

Latest posts

Back