MacNeil 265c BMX cruiser

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RustyGold

Epic Level Bike Hoarder! 🏆
Pro Member
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
22   0   0
I put this MacNeil together today. Full 4130 chromoly frame / fork. Everything else seems like non-labeled generified MacNeil pieces... nothing to write home about, but, nothing to complain about, either. Tires are a 65psi 2.125" Duro...took four shots get the front tire to seat, back one on first try :).

IMG_20170226_132302542_crop_810x752.jpg
IMG_20170226_140708106_crop_961x752.jpg

The frame/fork are from Taiwan :doh:, the welds are better than my China Redline and way better than my China/Taiwan SE STR-29.

IMG_20170226_140732781_crop_601x752.jpg
IMG_20170226_140933294_crop_919x752.jpg

The bike definitely feels lighter than my 26" PK... but, haven't weighed it yet. Love the looptail, camelback, and gusseted frame. Forks are great, bars nice as well, but will need replaced with a taller set for me. That is what you're getting for the money, because nothing else is going to excite anyone. I'm disappointed with the duros...Seemed like a bargain basement choice for what the bike MSRP'd for.

IMG_20170226_143943304_crop_865x752.jpg

I had been on the hunt for a 26" chromoly cruiser to try out on a local skate park...I don't feel comfortable taking my 26" PK out for that kind of possible abuse...It's aluminum. I tried tracking one of these down from a Vancouver B.C. shop...but, the shipping and duties from Canada killed the deal ~$180 vs less than $80 if it was shipped from just a few miles south. So, I decided on picking up one of the 'continuation' Champion frames off eBay. A week later I see ads for the MacNeil 26" and 29" 265c cruisers for cheap on eBay, with free shipping... from Canada... from a seller with a zero rating :doh:. So, I got in to discussions with the seller...confirmed who he was (one of the MacNeil founders, and owner until recently, as I understand). Made a deal for two (a 26" & 29")... and they came in last Thursday... free shipping and duty free!

Jason

Here are the auctions that led me to the guy I got the bikes from... Jamie, seems like a good dude. The length of the monologue above was to confirm the legitimacy of these auctions (zero feedback) for any one else interested. He is just cleaning out his warehouse of a brand that he no longer owns (as I understand it). The 29" listing has been completed, but, he may very well have some left...Just ask, they were the same price as the 26". I got a price break on two.

Blue MacNeil 26" cruiser - ebay

Black MacNeil 26" cruiser - ebay

Last edited:
Unfortunately...can't leave him feedback as we made the deal off eBay :wink1:. The exchange rate is very much in Team USA's favor, right now. I would be scouring Western Canada for deals right now if it wasn't for shipping/duties. I guess, since I was dealing directly with a distributor that the duties were bypassed in this case?

Jason

...thanks for sharing the pics and info! I'd like to get a look at the 29" when you put that together, too.
No problem!

I am probably going to throw the 29" one on CL while it's still boxed...though, after putting together this one, I won't be too bummed if it doesn't sell ;). I've gone into bike fund deficit spending between these and the Champion, at my current repayment schedule it will be back to zero in June or July...Of 2018 :(.

Jason

Did you end up taking it to the skate park? How does the frame construction seem?

I'm in the market for a bmx-style 26" cruiser and this one is at a nice price point for being full chromo frame, fork, & bars.

I wont be doing anything crazy on it but would like to know it can take a little abuse.

Did you end up taking it to the skate park? How does the frame construction seem?
Weather and schedule haven't been cooperating. I've had it out for a couple of rides...And managed a quick side trip to the skatepark. It was a quick trip and I didn't do anything radical. I slightly pre-date the whole freestyle revolution of the early/mid 80s...and, to be honest have always begrudged that the skatepark types usurped, and eclipsed, what I consider 'real' BMX :grin:. That being said...I don't know any tricks or stunts besides an occasional bunny hop and kickouts (and after tacoing one of my 29" BMX rims... I'm afraid to do anymore :bigsmile:). I do know how to hit a ramp hard and fast and catch some good air. I did that a few times (~210lbs currently) without issue. The bike handles very well, and didn't complain once. I've found some 9" bars I'm going to put on. I'm going to finish the underside of the stem, so I can flip it, to pick up some additional bar height. I bought a padded viscount (troxel-style) quilted seat that I'll try out. I want to swap out the tires (trying to find a source for Halos, they seem to be drying up in the States)....and a cool padset, and I'll be done...for awhile at least :).

I'm very satisfied with my purchase. I wouldn't have paid the $700 MSRP, but feel I got a good buy at the eBay prices (and it looks like Jamie still has some available).

Jason

I'm 6'2"...A little longer in the torso than the leg. I prefer a lay back post on 24"ers, I fall on the border with 26"/29". I can usually stick with a straight post if my bars are tall enough and with ~45mm+ reach stem. My STR29 is one of the more compact cockpits I have on a 26/29 BMX... and may have to go with a lay back on it. The MacNeil has a pretty relaxed seat tube angle and doesn't feel as compact, but I'll wait til I swap bars and flip stem to decide.

Jason

My 26" PK, with slam bars and a straight post feels very good...and is a bit roomier than the MacNeil, as a comparison if you've been on a 26" PK.

Jason

That's exactly the comparison I was going to ask about. :thumbsup:

Is the 26 a small TTon the MacNeil? I see differing lengths according to different sites. Also, did you keep the 29 and what's your thoughts on that?

22" c-c, measured.

I don't think there are different sizes, I often note mistakes in bike ads online. Some super obvious like advertised aluminum forks vs real-world hi-ten :bigsmile:.

I still have the 29" MacNeil... but, haven't assembled it or sold it. Just haven't had the time :).

Jason

Thanks. I think I may have to research this further. These are cool looking bikes. Very unique design.

Latest posts

Back