RRBBO13 Lucky 13 - She's Done

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
65428_5d834ea2403561e9b8afbf051d8847a9.jpeg
Well here is my entry, 1938-41 Elgin Twin-Bar. I'll get some more detailed photos of my parts pile posted up soon. This is just going to be a classic Scribbles restomod, all I've done since getting it was collecting as many original parts I could get my hands on.
73881_709a6631c29fa5f118187b4338503002.jpg

You can't go wrong with a Twin frame. I still love riding mine and I look forward to seeing how you build yours out.

Well here's the parts pile, only thing I'm is missing is a drop/kick stand. Otherwise I've got all the parts to put a nice Twin-20 together.
IMG_0431.JPG

IMG_0433.JPG
IMG_0434.JPG

Found this super sweet Elgin Deco stem
IMG_0436.JPG

That paint on the fenders is original so I'm thinking of soaking them in OA, then painting the frame to match them, thats the plan so far.
IMG_0437.JPG

IMG_0439.JPG

Torrington 10 pedals and OG sprocket.
IMG_0441.JPG

IMG_0456.JPG

Found these original Torrington half moon bars.
IMG_0458.JPG

IMG_0446.JPG

Sadly I could not find a set of Elgin Air Cooled wheels for this bike, but I did get these nice prewar New Departure wheels that will work perfect for this restomod.
IMG_0423.JPG

IMG_0425.JPG
IMG_0426.JPG

They have these cool pie crust tires mounted, but I'm gonna use them for my Murray Curve Bar, so I'm going to use these awesome cream Lightings for the Twin.
IMG_0428.JPG
IMG_0430.JPG

Cadet Speedo and a nice set of OG salt&pepper shaker grips.
IMG_0451.JPG

IMG_0454.JPG

And a custom RRB license plate
IMG_0464.JPG

Last edited:
Glad to see that the plate turned out well. :)

Gonna be an epic build!

I was super excited when I got it in the mail, turned out perfect thanks a bunch @Rat Rod

.some of the jams I rock out to when working in the shop.

IMG_0468.JPG
Took the bike down, to get ready for paint stripper.
IMG_0474.JPG
IMG_0476.JPG

After two rounds of paint stripper I still had to take the wire brush to the frame.
IMG_0478.JPG

Very nice bud such a great pile of parts you have accumulated.
I usually like some color on a bike. But I will agree about being on the fence with the bare metal . It dose look pretty cool, a bit of a Art Deco look.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You are making good time Scribbs! That frame is cool. :thumbsup:

I'm trying to slow my roll for this build off, I tend to get really obsessive with my projects. And I end up running out of stuff to do.

And I have to agree this is one of the most beautiful frames I've ever worked on. I mocked the bike up and it really is a striking bicycle.

Very nice bud such a great pile of parts you have accumulated.
I usually like some color on a bike. But I will agree about being on the fence with the bare metal . It dose look pretty cool, a bit of a Art Deco look.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Just wait I'll post the mock up, I'm super tempted to leave it bare now. especially since the green fenders add that little bit of color needed.

Last edited:
IMG_0518.JPG

IMG_0520.JPG

IMG_0522.JPG

I spent some time today sanding the frame down, and did a little mock up. I'm going to order some OA on Monday so I can clean up the fenders and rims.
One thing I'd love input on would be, leave it Bare steel, or should I go ahead with my forced patina paint job idea. I'm leaning towards bare steel as of right now.

More jams

I don't think I have seen one of these done bare steel, so I would vote for bare. Would you go all bare, or use the fenders and other parts to bring color in?
Looking sharp!

Latest posts

Back