LTJ's 1981 DATSUN STANZA (A10) WANNABE RALLY CAR. SOLD and moving.

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I like the dark grey too, been thinking that way for a while. Can't decide if I was it in a satin finish, full gloss, or crazy 'salt and pepper' metal flake... :21:

I am pretty sure that I will be blacking out the rims and everything else though, I think that would look pretty mean. :aggressive:

Spent a couple of hours on roofracks today, made up some clamps and started on the cross bars, but in the end decided I will modify some ready made racks rather than use mine. I just started thinking about the sort of loads that would be on them, and what could happen if they came off and decided I didn't want that on my conscience.
I am happy that my ones would be strong enough to hold any static load, but there is a lot more going on there at speed, cornering and braking, better to use something that a company has spent years and huge sums of money developing and just not worry about it.

Should have they fully modified and fitted in the next few days... ;)

Luke.

I've seen some pretty cool tinted primer. Looks almost flat, barely satin. Purple primer is awesome, so is blue.

Carl.

sent from my banana phone...

Got some time in today on the roofracks, the gutter mounts, the perimeter ring and the crossbars are all tacked, everything else can be done with them off the car, trying to tack and hold a fire blanket to stop sparks on windows at the same time gets old fast!

26373592991_64caea047f_z.jpg

26413842336_a2b4b50130_z.jpg

Still have the curved side rails and the wooden slats to do after I finish all the welding, but it is starting to get the look I wanted!

Luke.

Rack Lights!!! Rack Lights!!! Rack Lights!!! :rockout::rockout::rockout:

(Extra battery system...fat spare on the trunk...
nerf bars fore and aft... the list goes on and on....)

It'sa cool little ride. I've got a 93' Astro van I'd like to swap off for a little Datsun or Toyota or a VW Rabbit... I'd love to build a semi modern rat roadster like the old model A rats that started it all, but using a little 4 banger import. Lightweight, great on gas, quick acceleration, flat black, indian blanket seat covers, the list goes on and on... I said that already didn't I? ;)

Carl.

It'sa cool little ride. I've got a 93' Astro van I'd like to swap off for a little Datsun or Toyota or a VW Rabbit... I'd love to build a semi modern rat roadster like the old model A rats that started it all, but using a little 4 banger import. Lightweight, great on gas, quick acceleration, flat black, indian blanket seat covers, the list goes on and on... I said that already didn't I? ;)

Carl.
:) I admit you have me thinking...

I have been studying the pics of the rack I made today and it is just not looking right to me, so I mocked it up to see how it would look with the side rails on:

Roofrack with rails.jpg

Much better, but still not quite right for some reason.
So I did a Google image search for 'Retro Roofracks' and started to notice that the older racks look better when they are a bit smaller and don't completely cover the roof, so... Time for another mock-up!

Shorter Roofrack with rails.jpg

Now it looks right! Guess I have some work to do...

Luke.

Carl.
You're reading my mind Carl, I had the thought like yours with my Toyota Nova. Roof rack, lights, bigger wheels with off road tires.

Man if you lived closer I'd trade yours for mine.
562afe174174cd6892c102b23a53bf68.jpg

Sent from my LGL34C using Tapatalk

Carl.
You're reading my mind Carl, I had the thought like yours with my Toyota Nova. Roof rack, lights, bigger wheels with off road tires.

Just for you guys:

Carl.jpg

Luke.

Yeah, shorter gets it looking 'right'.
I know this is a painting, but I always wanted to recreate it.
e5075dc3fdf57366412247eaee225278.jpg

Keep up the great work Luke!
Love it Dr. T!

Be nice to try and paint that patina on the little Datsun...

Luke.

Man if you lived closer I'd trade yours for mine.
562afe174174cd6892c102b23a53bf68.jpg

Sent from my LGL34C using Tapatalk
I can drive my Astro to Ohio anytime... would your Toyo make it back to Ilinois?

Carl.

sent from my banana phone...

Made good progress on the roofrack today, shortened it up by about 8", added 5 steel 'planks' in the middle section and then added the side rails and braces.

It is pretty heavy duty, but it needs to be to hold my bikes!

26053376944_d4474f60ec_z.jpg

26632359566_a103e4bdae_z.jpg

26632360056_9fdc68572f_z.jpg

26593427611_7f0de76175_z.jpg

Pretty happy with the way it came out, it took a lot of designing to get the look I wanted and a fair bit of work to get it close to the roof, but not so close that it would touch when loaded up.

I will leave it on there for a few days, do some driving with it to make sure there are no issues, then I will probably take it off, clean up a few spots and get it powder coated.

Next project is probably an external sun visor...

Luke.

Must have missed my notifications on the thread. Looks like you've been busy Luke. Love that roof rack and those 14 inch wheels look good on there. The eighties hot rod look kind of works with it.

Can just picture you cruising down the road with Pedro on top.

Latest posts

Back