Love Letter to My Baby Doll

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Dear Sweet Baby*Doll,

I wish everyone here could have seen how excited you were when you saw your Slik Chik! It was certainly the best Christmas present I have ever had the joy of giving, and I'm thrilled that you are so happy with it. I had a lot of fun finding just the right bits and pieces and putting them all together for you.

I am incredibly blessed to have you in my life, Baby. It's fantastic that you love your bike but it's a dream come true that you already have made plans to add your own special touches to it. The flowers you showed me are the perfect accent, and I know that your hand-made streamers will be the icing on the cake. It means a lot to me that you are so excited about the Chik, and that it'll be a rider for you, not a trophy.

My Baby Doll's 1968 Schwinn Sting-Ray Slik Chik

slikchik_zpse1acd05b.jpg

This is actually a different chain guard than the one at the beginning of this thread. It's original and nearly perfect. The chain is a nickel plated Wippermann (made in Germany) that should last a long time.

guard_zpsde7f8b09.jpg

The seat isn't "correct" for a Slik Chik, but I like it, and so do you. It's in really spectacular shape - I was blessed to find it.

seat_zps64f91478.jpg

I was also very blessed to find this basket; it's in brand new condition. I love the ideas you have for the basket, and I guarantee it'll be different from what folks expect. Didn't it look awesome the other day when you mocked it up and the sun was shining in the window just on the basket?

basket1-1_zps0a5e9725.jpg

This old bell is very cool. I know you dig it a bunch. It was made in Germany, too.

bell_zpsa25608ba.jpg

Your "slik" is a NOS (new old stock) Schwinn Slik from June of 1970. The "flash" going down the center of the tire is proof of zero miles. I know you think it's too nice to ride on, but Baby, we're riding! Do you know how many purist heart attacks you'd cause if they saw you shred this piece? I think it's great! I hope we just wear our bikes out. Then we'll rebuild 'em.

slik_zps1c970186.jpg

The Westwind tire up front is also NOS, from the mid-70's. It's never been on the road, only your carpet. Check out the giant piece of flash coming off the center of the tread! These tires were made for kids to enjoy, and we're just big kids.

westwind2_zpsa703bdab.jpg

These pedals are amazing! They're 40 some years old and they've never been scuffed!

pedal_zps42fd071c.jpg

I dig how the green on these reflectors are a perfect match to your paint. Hopefully none of our fun will be spoiled!

reflector_zpsf09fffcd.jpg

I had to get the dice. They're a subtle reminder of what you're rolling with me!

dice_zps54cb9154.jpg

Gotta have an Owner's Manual, right? This is the correct manual for a 1968 Slik Chik. It's cool how much information they jammed in here, and none of the Legal Department nonsense you find nowadays. Look at the kid on the cover! He is wearing no safety gear! He could be maimed for life!

manual_zps0712d49c.jpg

No caption necessary here...

tag_zps47a6c1f3.jpg

I can't wait to go riding with you, too, Baby Doll. I know we're going to have a bunch of fun on our bikes. Lovely spring evenings around the neighborhood and summer days on the boardwalk - I can't wait! And you know I'll be scowling at all the dudes feigning interest in the Chik while they're ogling my Chick!

I'll take all the love and kisses and hugs and licks and rubs you gots, Baby. And then some.

Yours, always.

deorman said:
Sheesh, get a room. :p JK, :wink: Happy cycling! 8)

Actually, we did just reserve a room, at the beach, for a week. In the not too distant future. And we'll be checking in as Mr and Mrs Furyus.

The cycling will indeed be happy.

furyus

deorman said:
Sheesh, get a room. :p JK, :wink: Happy cycling! 8)

We did get a room and it was wonderful. Here's a view of the sunrise one morning from our balcony. And now my Baby Doll is Mrs. Baby Doll Furyus.

This thread will be poppin' up now and again...

Hi Sweet Baby Doll,

Just wanted to share with our Rat Roddin' friends what you've already seen...

I finally found a matching '68 Sting-Ray with original Campus Green paint and decals! Not only that, but it's got an August 68 serial number, just like your Slik Chik. It's a perfect match for our rides on the boardwalk someday (can't wait).

I'm am so blessed that you dig these old bikes, too, Baby Doll. I love you a bunch!

Yours, 422.

Latest posts

Back