Looking for Link , KOTA'S frame chop

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gsc

Reaction score
Rating - 100%
4   0   0
Used to be a link on chopping a cantilever frame I believe KOTA posted it years ago, need it for a build I am dreaming up at the moment.

Not the one, It was basicly taking a cantilever frame and breaking welds , re welding it after moving the mid twin bars and seatpost to lower the frame.

Not the one, It was basicly taking a cantilever frame and breaking welds , re welding it after moving the mid twin bars and seatpost to lower the frame.
Yep, that is the first link I put there.

chop.jpg

It's simple to do and doesn't require good welding skills or additional tubing. Cut the two canteliver tubes away from the down tube and away from the seat tube. Then using one of those ratcheting tie-down straps, wrap it around the seat tube and the rear dropouts and tightened it up until the seat tube is pulled back and resting on the rear fender/brake brace that's between the rear stays. Where all the tubing is now making contact weld it back together on the underside of the bike and then cut off the extra cantilever tubes that are now extending past the down tube. Leave the bearing cups and crank in place when manipulationg the bike. The bottom bracket is the weak spot and will collapse instead of the rest of the bike bending.
It makes a subtle change in the look of the bike and gives you the option of a low-rider because it actually lowers the bike or add chopper forks long enough to get the bottom bracket back up to normal height.

Luke.

Latest posts

Back