long, low and slow x-53 (7-21 done)

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Re: long, low and slow x-53 (5-30 bars and hubcaps)

if found that out with my higgins beehive, and that was a motorbike too.. i have the same fork on my whizzer, and all i did was make .... sure that i had the bottom rockers on the right way, and i dont know if i have a later one or what the deal is, but the rockers hit the fork preventing it from bottoming out.

heres my springers...

DSC_0108.jpg

DSC_0109.jpg

DSC_0110.jpg

and a brittle aluminum tooth removal system

DSC_0111.jpg

id have to say, my next build will have another roadmaster type springer, if i can find one

Re: long, low and slow x-53 (5-30 bars and hubcaps)

parts bin black moon bars and gold sparkle grips *borrowed* from my girlfriends lowrider... i still need a road stem to complete the look im going for.

blackbars2.jpg

blackbars.jpg

Re: long, low and slow x-53 (6-1 new handlebars/ grips)

I really dig this build--very tough looking. I like that you're keeping some of that rust along with the gold sparkle. This frame is really super cool too it seems really compact if that makes any sense--just seems solid and fast. nice work!

Re: long, low and slow x-53 (6-1 new handlebars/ grips)

mounted up the headlight - i still have to formulate its guts and switch. i also added a road stem it gives it a diffrent look and throws the handlebars further forward to give it a more sleek look. im still on the fence about what bars to go with. i looked at all my other bikes and realized that 3 out of 5 bikes have 3-speed bars flipped upside down. its an internal struggle "to board, or not to board"... suggestions would be cool. i also finally secured the front fender. it took a lot of adjustment, but

anger.jpg

mean2.jpg

i think the headlight makes it look mean as heck, it also adds more "weight" to the front. the plan as of now is to put 3 diffrent lights inside the housing, a red, amber and led. i think this bike would look MEAN as heck with a dull red headlight!

here is a better view of the stem and light and attached fenders.

stem.jpg

ive noticed a lot of guys reppin' their car/bike clubs round these parts, so i thought id throw in my hat.

reppin.jpg

im considering re-naming this build too.. but that will have to wait!

Re: long, low and slow x-53 (6-2 new stem, headlight and ideas)

wow! that looks sweet! and as far as bars go, id use the black moon bars and gold grips.

herr_rudolf said:
do you have some more pcis of that other bike in the last pic online? link?

The X-53 is turning out great! Love the black/gld/silver/rust combo.

you mean the confused Italian aka pizza cutter?...

photo3.jpg

wow those are funky lookin wheels! how wide are they?

the wheels on the road bike are 700c's - the wheels are some really cheap super deep v's with formula hubs and a single speed coaster (i like having my teef)

so heres the latest on the x-53

i dug out the sprocket and crank and soon realized that the crank itself was TOOOO messed up to use.. oh well, a quick jaunt over to atomic and i got that squared away. threw it all together and decided i should take more pictures.

so here we go

shiny.jpg

i actually rode it for the first time, this sumbeeoch wants to roll.

then i mocked it up with the chainguard and skirts..

shinymock.jpg

im getting excited, i think some period mudflaps and some other bolt ons are in order

meanashell.jpg

its been suggested that whitewalls are the way to go, i cant visualize it, and felt qb's are expensive, so thats a risk id have to take..

for my next trick, ill be making a tail light to use one of the zillions of 58 cadillac tail lights lens' i have left over. i will also have to do some customizing to the skirts to get everything in its place and to sinch up the rear rack/super structure... should be fun.

i honestly hope people are enjoying this build, id have to say, i think its my finest attempt so far.

This is one of my favorites so far. I favor the comfortable look over the flipped bar bikes. Those fuzzy pics remind me of a penthouse magazine I had as a teenager.

I think the blackwalls give it a serious business, Browning in the breast pocket look. I'd stick with them, but it'll look good either way, I'm sure.

ej599 said:
This is one of my favorites so far. I favor the comfortable look over the flipped bar bikes. Those fuzzy pics remind me of a penthouse magazine I had as a teenager.

hahah funny you should bring that up, my girl said the same thing.. it kinda does give it that gangster look.it does look more comfy, and it also reminds me of a big old indian with beach bars... good things.

deorman said:
I think the blackwalls give it a serious business, Browning in the breast pocket look. I'd stick with them, but it'll look good either way, I'm sure.

it kinda does give it that gangster look. i know lots of people do army style bikes, but what about a mob style bike... the wheels are turning!

Re: long, low and slow x-53 (6-2 more coolness)

its an awesome kustom! i think blackwalls are more ratty if you ask me. whitewalls would make the bike too classy, luxurious, and bright. i think you shoul polish up all the chrome, inluding the bare rusty fenders, and get it pinstriped, in black, gold, and white.

since its builder only paint, im going to pickup the brush and give it a try myself. i was planning on just striping the rear rack, outlining the scallops on the headlight and fenders and something on my mysterious tail light assembly.

i also realize i have to do a little slice and dice on the skirts to get them to fit properly on on the boys frame, girls frames had a smaller front sprocket so i might have to take out a lot of metal on the drive side...should be fun.

lobsterboyx said:
i also realize i have to do a little slice and dice on the skirts to get them to fit properly on on the boys frame, girls frames had a smaller front sprocket so i might have to take out a lot of metal on the drive side...should be fun.
The girls colorflows that came with skirts had a different rear fender. It has a radiused cutout that allows the skirt to be sort of recessed in the fender. It actually raises the skirtguard up about 3/8" and then the chain guard fits right and the bolt holes line up with the rack mounts. Hard to explain, I will post some pics on my build thread that show what I did to make em fit.

thats true.. sounds like a plan. :)

Markm said:
RATAFIED said:
also it has to be painted by owner,is it ok if mate is a powdercoater to do the frame
...I think the paint rule is to keep out "professional paint jobs"

This was posted in the RRBBO4 Discussion area, you should double check,but to me this says don't spend a grand on a custom paint job. Powdercoating is fine.

i remember on my old color flow one guard was shorter so that the chain guard could fit in it. that sucker was a pain to put together it was a darn puzzle.

Latest posts

Back