long, low and slow x-53 (7-21 done)

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Re: long, low and slow x-53 (5-22 its looking like a bike)

thanks for the kind words everyone.

i started working a bit on the headlight, im headed over to the electronics store a little later on to see what i can find.

but i thought id post somewhat of a how to for how im painting this bike: for the fenders i used just gold with clear but for the rack and the headlight i wanted something a bit diffrent

gold.jpg

first thing i did was mask, then i took some 3m stripping pad and gave the area a quick work over. then on goes the gold paint

flake.jpg

i let it dry then sprayed this glitter spray i got at an art store. the trick with this stuff is to mist it on there very slowly letting it be even.. its in some weird glue/clear coat stuff that is pretty stinky so use a gas mask. you have to be careful because the stuff bunches up and you'll get runs in the flake.

i like to dust on another coat of gold after teh flake to kinda seal it in, the flake looks a little more professional i think...

to be honest i didnt want to divulge my secret magical clear coat, but i will
clear.jpg

this stuff lays perfectly every time and makes anything look good.

heres the result
result.jpg

fin.jpg

Re: long, low and slow x-53 (5-23 - a quick "how to"..ect)

i like the ratty paint, then just paint gold scallops over it. looks great!

Galtbacken said:
lobsterboyx said:
starting to look like a bike

Starting to look amazing!

thats a supreme compliment coming from you...

i wasnt satisfied with my headlight, it needed something else...
maskedheadlight.jpg

heres how it came out
finishedheadlight.jpg

along with my girlfriends feet.

also i was digging in my parts box and i came up with my un-used 57 caddy hub cap bullets that i think might be cool as x-53 hubcaps
hubcaps.jpg

i was also toying with the idea of using a 40s police siren on the rear rack... who knows what danger lurks in your plumbing? adeeeeedoo!

I just love the tanks on these. Great bike! My six year old is sitting here and she says that your bike is cool, and it just needs wheels.

well, i wanted to get the bike to be a roller this weekend, but i guess that didnt happen.. what with school finals and work....

DSC_0077.jpg

i was only able to get a few things done..the good thing is i made up my mind for wheels:
jokewheel.jpg

just kidding....

i dug through my parts box and found some un-used 57 cadillac hubcap centers i had left over
hubcap.jpg

i think that they will hide all the seams for where everything bolts to the rear triangle and give it a fitting 50s vibe

i also bolted down the seatpost+seat, headlight and mocked the front fender

seatfender.jpg

fendermovck.jpg

i had to do a little bit of massaging to get the seat post and seat on right, and i couldent be happier with my headlight.. its very exciting.

now here is where i run in to a problem. the guy who gave me this bike (a very close friend) also handed me a set of jc higgins girls skirt guards for my bike. however, i feel that if i fix them up, i might be stepping on some feet. i private messaged him and asked first hand and he was all too nice about it. id feel a a bit awkward submitting this bike to a contest where i'd be judged. however, i really like the skirt guards, and i want to have them on the bike for my own personal satisfaction. so if i do decide to go through with using these, id like to be judged without them... your thoughts would be appreciated. please note i will not be using the JCH chainguard, im going to go with the stock x53 one.

DSC_0085.jpg

now all i need is some tires and to fix up the cranks!

them thurr is coat guards.. (as long as they are on a male fame.. lol) Sweet bike

Re: long, low and slow x-53 (5-25 - more coolness)

I don't get the part about the skirt guards.....They look GREAT! Use them. If he's another forum member, hey, parts exchange hands everyday here. If it's a matter of keeping the bike original looking, uh, not here.

Keep them on. It is the 50's sled look that your want.

I like the guards. If you don't use them, I might be interested in buying them for my build.

Dan

the car is one of 4 that were made for the 1988 movie "tucker, a man and his dream" i helped move this car to its new home. its an exact replica with molds taken from the real car. i feel this might be the closest i will ever be to a tucker, let alone sit in the drivers seat.

i guess i didnt word that quite right -

a friend of mine, not a member of the forums, the guy who gave me this bike, gave me these skirt guards to use in my build.

there is another member on the forum who is doing the same thing with his x-53. this is where my dilemma begins.

That's it?.......Don't worry about it!..I'm using a banana seat, I'm sure I won't be the only one!..........Heck I'm using a "tank", you copying me?

Latest posts

Back