long, low and slow x-53 (7-21 done)

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Re: "long low and slow x-53"

thats slick brotha!

i didnt have the heart to change much on my x-53, i just threw on new tires,bars and seat and alittle paint on the fenders/rack. the frame looks like it was painted with a brush years ago.

cant wait to see the finished project, perhaps it will motivate me to do something with mine.
IMG_4767.jpg

btw if anybody comes across a tank/chainguard/front fender/light, i'm in the market

yeah, im going to keep the skip tooth in it. the bearings still roll as good as they did when it was new.

but i officially hate paint stripper... since i started this project, ive gone through 2 cans. i just wish the fenders were in better shape :(

i have to beg a few friends to let me use their sandblaster for the frame and fork!

i got some sheet metal for my skirt idea, and i pulled a 24 incher off my silver king to give it that taildragger look :idea:

well hello there mr.freshly sandblasted frame, i want you to meet mr. primer

blasted.jpg

ohhh wee!
blasted2.jpg

so finally i bribed my friend to let me use his blast cabinet, all it took was a bottle of chimay beer.
it sucks because i actually like the primer color, but im still searching for some ideas about the colors!

i cant wait to start assembly

Re: long, low and slow x-53 - stripped/primed frame

i copped out and painted it semi-gloss black :(

ive got some other ideas that will have to do..

Re: long, low and slow x-53 - stripped/primed frame

what on earth?

photo5.jpg

thats black, 1 coat of gold, spray flake, another coat of gold, then 3 coats of clear - my phone camera doesnt pick it up too well, but its awesome,

photo6.jpg

starting to look like a bike

photo4.jpg

oh la la - i have something up my sleeve when it comes to the fenders, so i havent quite mounted them up yet.

photo8.jpg

some cool acorns i found at the hardware store.

photo9.jpg

tractor headlight - gonna convert to LED

photo10.jpg

BOOTY BOOTY BOOTY ROCK IT EVERYWHERE!@!@!@!

Re: long, low and slow x-53 (5-22 its looking like a bike)

That is one of the most "stylish" bikes made!.......And black and gold are the two most stylish colors.

KOTA said:
That is one of the most "stylish" bikes made!.......And black and gold are the two most stylish colors.
Its a very nice bike....Kota dont you have a bike to go lean on a tree or something :lol: :lol:

Ha, you went black! Good choice, the colors look good and the headlight should really top it off nicely.

Nice, I'm diggin this build!! :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Very nice!

so im working from home today doing some freelance graphic design for a company and im starting to go crosseyed looking at the screen, so i do a few hours work, then go outside and work on the bike

i was thinking about how i could distract your eye from the rusty fenders,

so i layed some scalops on the back of the fenders - i should have taken pictures but i was too excited to remove the tape and see how they came out
photo11.jpg

i also made it so that the lower ends of the scalops were covered by the rack braces, i never realized how hard it is to lay down stuff like this evenly, my flexible ruler came in handy

photo12.jpg

once everything is said and done, i have to break out my pinstriping brush and do a red stripe around the edges of them

i took this picture for 2 reasons, one is to show the size of this thing, its freaking huge! and to show how the front end looks without load - every x-53 ive seen looks so high and goofy in the front when its sitting without a rider on it. my whizzer has the same fork and even with my girlfriend on it, it streches out and lowers the front end, so i started making a little lowering block to bring the springs a but further away from the tower

compare.jpg

i want it and i cave it looks better than the red house paint. nice work

Latest posts

Back