LocoJoe's Recent Rides

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Went for a ride around the big city today. Not on a ratrod though :oops: Some of this may have been shown before by myself or Dangratsdan.

The old amusement park with it's wooden rollercoaster (rip).
DSCF1058.JPG

Halloween survivor.
DSCF1071.JPG

Another.
DSCF1073.JPG

Ohhhh the smell of baking bread. No longer Rainbo but Sara Lee.
DSCF1081.JPG

One of many grain elevators at the North end of town.
DSCF1107.JPG

DSCF1114.JPG

DSCF1117.JPG

Every now and then this wall gets repainted with a vintage looking ad. EDIT: I've since come to the conclusion this is an old ad.
DSCF1125.JPG

Former Holiday Inn. In 1976 A sniper on the 26th floor shot and killed two men and wounded seven other people. Years ago when it was vacant and without electricity I would have to climb the many flights of dark stairs to the roof for my job. It's now condos and apartments.
DSCF1132.JPG

Arkansas river. Hyatt hotel in foreground. To left and farther back brick building is the historic Broadview hotel built in early 1920s and is currently being restored. A lot of famous people have stayed here. Al Capone supposedly had his own special room down in the basement according to a historic tour our bike club took.
DSCF1137.JPG

Kansas may seem an odd place for a boat like this but it belongs to native Bill Koch and won the 32nd "America's Cup".
DSCF1143.JPG

Pigeons hanging out on the Arkansas River.
DSCF1150.JPG

Re: Todays Ride

thanks for the ride.

the spider/wheel spokes shadow picture is very clever, very creative. Very Good!

I liked them all, but this one is exceptional.

Very nice pics, love those fall colors

You Kansas boys sure have a lot of boat history in Wichita between Cup Racers and steel hulled warships. The sailboat can be pressed hard and comeabout at speed is a thing to be on or near when it happens. The warship displacing that many tons, length, and beam with a speed of 37.4 MPH is mind boggling. My dad was in the fleet that crossed the Atlantic in WWII. Ships like the Wichita class could be seen on the horizon and be up next to you in a couple of hours and be out of site in a couple of more. Pretty cool stuff your way.

Graylock

Hey Randy, Do you know any of the history on the wooden rollercoaster? It looks a lot like one we had in Kansas City that was sold and moved south someplace. Ours was named (The Timberwolf) from Fairyland Park.

From the web...

Roller Coaster

Portion of the roller coaster that extends out into the parking lotJoyland's 1949 era roller coaster, a Philadelphia Toboggan Company coaster designed by Herbert Paul Schmeck, is one of the last surviving original wooden roller coasters, and is one of 33 surviving roller coasters of only 44 original coasters designated as an ACE Coaster Classic. Originally called simply Roller Coaster but for a time was renamed the Nightmare, it has a 2,600 ft (790 m) track span, 80 ft (24 m) drop, and 50 mph (80 km/h) top speed. It has the distinction of being the only remaining roller coaster in North America using vintage rolling stock with fixed lap bars. The film King Kung Fu was filmed on location at several locations in the Wichita area, including at Joyland. One scene in the film features several minutes of footage shot on the Roller Coaster.

Joyland's Roller Coaster, a Philadelphia Tobbogan Coaster, is world reknowned for being one of the last surviving original wooden roller coasters, and is designated an ACE Coaster Classic. Designed by Herb Schmeck and John Allen, it has a 2,600 foot track span, 76-foot drop and top speed of 50 mph. It is the only coaster in North America using vintage rolling stock with fixed position lap bars.

The Nightmare Details
Year Track Type Designer
1949 Wood Out and Back Herb Schmeck, John Allen, PTC

Roller Coaster Stats

Height: 70 feet Drop: 76 feet
Top Speed: 50 mph Length: 2,600 feet
Trains: 2 - 18 passenger Train Mfg: Philadelphia Toboggan Co.

More Facts About The Nightmare

ACE Coaster Classic
SBNO - Standing but not operating since August 15, 2004.

2006 - The original name "Roller Coaster" is changed to The Nightmare.

The only roller coaster in North America using vintage PTC rolling stock with fixed lap bars.

Trains have three cars with three rows each, seating two abreast per row.

Estimated Cost: $75,000

hghrug%20232.jpg

RIP

Hey Mitch, thanks for the info., I went back and did a little research, our roller coaster was the wildcat not timberwolf. Wildcat got sold and went to Oklahoma City to Frontier City amusement park and is still in operation there.

Looks like the Joyland coaster is done... the park closed several years back and everything has been vandalized, I think they even burned down one building. It would cost MILLIONS to get that place up and running again. when it went up for auction a few years back, I heard the place could be bought for 1.5 million. but it never happened, the original owner bought it back and leased it out to a couple of guys that were going to re-open it, I think they had it open one season but that was it.

Ive heard developers are circling the property like buzzards. So I dont expect that coaster will ever run again.

I used to ride the crap out of it when I was younger, good times!!

dos cruiser said:
Hey Mitch, thanks for the info., I went back and did a little research, our roller coaster was the wildcat not timberwolf. Wildcat got sold and went to Oklahoma City to Frontier City amusement park and is still in operation there.
I rode the Wildcat in OKC years ago. Had no idea it came from KC.

One of the rare times this has happened but I was allowed to bring a bike in the house to work on it. It's my wife's and I put it up on my new work-stand so I could install her new cyclo-computer.
IMG_5121.JPG

We then went out for cold a morning ride which was cut short (8.5 miles) due to a nose bleed ...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dprc-CB4EAU

Re: Todays Ride (Freezing)

Wow Randy, You guy are in the heat wave, I think it's about 16 here today. I really enjoyed the ride, I'm sitting here at the computer in front of a heater and your ride was great, thanks.
I hope everyone down there had a good Christmas. You only got to bring the bike in to the house because it's Nova's and you got a new work stand. Those are good stands.

Re: Todays Ride (Freezing)

what do you guys wear under your bike helmets?

We rode last weekend in only cool weather, and I tell you those helmets move some cooling air over your head, way more than you realize in the summer time.

"cool video" :D

Latest posts

Back