Little Wing

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Tried out the handlebar wings. No go, too thin, they bend, and so will the dropouts, if I could get the axle in the too small slots. I'm going back and trying again to get these parts made.

Very little progress. I'm waiting for the beginning of next month to have any more metal work done. I picked up a 2.125 tire for the rear, made here in the Philippines. I looked at the handlebar wings again, I think just a 1/4" stainless bar will work better, with a set of wings attached.

14czeya.jpg

Last edited:
Tried out the handlebar wings. No go, too thin, they bend, and so will the dropouts, if I could get the axle in the too small slots. I'm going back and trying again to get these parts made.

I'm a local and more often than not have a hard time explaining to metal workers about projects like these even in our language, they always give me weird looks. It's trivial to them, they just don't understand the culture behind builds like these. They don't care if a weld or cut is clean/polished, the concept is just beyond them. I try to tell them I will pay a little more than what they would charge if they get it right to my specifications and that seems to motivate them more. I hope you still get the wings and dropouts you want. :)

I wish they had a plasma torch, I used one when I was a helper in a metal shop. These guys don't even have a vise, they find an open spot and go at it with grinders. I wonder how rough my chain guard might be. I'll go back by there early in June. For the handlebars I'm thinking of getting a set of actual pilot's wings if I can find them. With all the trophy shops here it shouldn't be too hard.

I went out for an evening walk along the beach where our old Navy base used to be. I stopped by a friend's workplace. She's in retail but I watched the craftsmen carving wood in the back the old way. They had a lot of their work on display that looked top notch. They cater to the ships and tourists visiting the Subic Bay area. So I'm thinking some hand carved wood with hand painting might do well for some things that don't have to be metal, wings and chain guards, etc.
259v7g5.jpg

Last edited:
Life sure is tough in paradise! :)

Here's a few things they carve and paint. I'm thinking I'll get some of those wings and see about the chain guard, it might get too pricey but would be something to see.

5n3zoz.jpg

2sbpvkk.jpg

33avs76.jpg

ruuy3b.jpg

Speaking of rainy season, we finally got some rain yesterday, cooled it off a little. Heat index actually got below 100.

I like your thinking on those wooden wings.
By the way, congrats on June getting here and Coppertooth being the bike of the month.

Last edited:
I was looking at this photo and can have the guys carve it onto a big piece of wood, but it will lighten my wallet up pretty good. I'll post up a pic on a new thread if and when I get it.
24m97oz.jpg

Now back on subject, Little Wing will get a pair of wooden wings with the number 9 in the middle. Also get the winged dropouts redone in heavier metal and redesigned to look smoother. Then wait til payday for more.

24z8ymb.jpg

Those guys can make a good grill and make repairs, but their skills at other things leave a lot to be desired. I went again to pick up my parts. They said ok, and went in the back. After awhile I went and checked, they were making them as I waited. It wasn't the same piece of 3/16's steel we picked out originally, it measures just under 1/8 inch, but they seem stout enough for dropouts. So I got everything even cheaper. About 8 dollars total. If they don't seem strong enough, I'll double them up and have 2 more made. They were free handing everything with grinders, that's how they cut everything out. No safety glasses or anything. The wings for the handlebars might be too rough to use, but now I have an excuse to get a new dremel. Or have another one made from shiny stainless, if they can cut it better.

2e21fts.jpg
I'm going to try to use these dropouts after all. The bike budget took a hit with some fees and taxes, so I'll see if there's a place that will let me work on them, or have them make them right for me. I need the slots widened and smoothed, and maybe a little more curve to the tops.

Then I have to figure how to get the kickstand to fit properly. It will be modded into a drop stand/wheelie bar. I found some small wheels to use for it, but don't have the piece of metal for the extension yet. And it will be attached to the other dropout, only no spring on the other side. I may the extension welded or bolted on, not sure yet.

2iuwe8h.jpg

I went out for an evening walk along the beach where our old Navy base used to be. I stopped by a friend's workplace. She's in retail but I watched the craftsmen carving wood in the back the old way. They had a lot of their work on display that looked top notch. They cater to the ships and tourists visiting the Subic Bay area. So I'm thinking some hand carved wood with hand painting might do well for some things that don't have to be metal, wings and chain guards, etc.
259v7g5.jpg

Been to Subic Bay before. Got some libbo in Angeles City be for they shut down Clark. Crazy.

I'm rethinking using the DNB for the build. I like riding it as is, and since I haven't gotten anything done yet, I may look for a 50's cruiser frame and continue with the same theme. I may make a trip to Quezon City if I can't find anything here.
Here's the bike as I ride it. You can see the difference the 20 x 1.75 and 20 x 1 3/8 that came with it originally, about an inch more in height with the skinny 1 3/8. I might get a a cheap set of 20 x 1 3/8 wheels and tires for it, then use these wheels on one of the full suspension 20" frames they use here. I'm not comfortable riding the DNB in traffic, epecially downhill. I'm liking the 2 speed automatic more and more though.
2ltjbsl.jpg

Last edited:
wow....nice build there kababayan...loved the woody color of the frame and the idea of putting some woodworks on the bike...i understand the budget cut offs that you're experiencing during your build...i am also experiencing it right now....specially here in yolanda strucked area...i really wanted to join the build off...i'm building one right now and it's almost finished...here it is...https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=781141738564010&set=pcb.781141838564000&type=1&theater it took me months to gather all the parts...tinatamad lang ako mag upload ng pics...lol..well...keep it up...and good luck..

Well, the bike budget is near zero until early August and even then is very limited. So the folder will remain the bike. It may keep the original paint as that's last on the priority list.
I finally found a use for a tiny vise I got for a birthday gag gift. With these dropout extensions clamped or bolted together, I'll have a welding shop open up the slots as they were supposed to be and clean them up so they are identical. Or if they let me, I'll do the work using their shop.
2e22rys.jpg

Latest posts

Back