Lithium

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was riding around the block with my wife and daughter and came to the conclusion that I needed to have a cool cruising bike to ride. The old mountain bike just isn't cutting it anymore. I kind of wanted something like a Phat Cycles stretch but it ended turning out a little longer. I bought 5 old womens bikes from an auction for $20 just for parts and I had a bunch of CrMo tubing laying around so the torch and welder came out and this is what I have come up with so far.

Started with a piece of 1.125 .045 wall CrMo tube and a torch for the down tube. I tried to match the radius of the front wheel to help with looks.
2012-08-05_22-30-26_91.jpg

After bending the down tube and turnong out a new bottom bracket on the lathe I set a chalk line on the floor and made marks for wheelbase, seat post, and gooseneck placement. A tape line was made to figure out backbone shape and another tube was attacked with the torch to match the tape line. After the tubes were welded to the bottom bracket it went into the jig I use to build minibikes to locate the gooseneck.
2012-08-07_00-17-44_714.jpg

After the front forks were on the frame was flipped in the jig so the rear triangles could be started. The triangles are made from .875 .032 wall CrMo and bent with heat as well.
2012-08-07_21-35-38_306.jpg

Welded on some tabs for the rear wheel and fabbed some temp front forks until I can finish modifying the actual forks from the triple trees. The forks and trees are from an old 80cc dirt bike. The tires for now are 27x1 1/4 but I think I will be swapping them out for 26's. The parts bikes all had three speed rear hubs so I have a couple of sizes of rims to choose from.
2012-08-08_01-42-56_177.jpg

The bars were just hacked on there to test ride it last night ( which was at 1:30 last night with a flashlight in hand ) and will be swapped out for something shiny later. Any suggestions are welcomed and comments appreciated.

Its nice to see scratch build happening. Once finished its cool to say I built that
frame myself. Looking good so far. :wink:

Thanks for the kind comments. It did end up a little long but I am 6' 3" so it fits me pretty good. I always enjoy building things myself. The satisfaction is well worth the effort. I was thinking today that it might look good with full wheel pants so I think I will fab up a test set from fiberglass and see how it looks. I will try and do a rendering on the computer to let you guys see what I am thinking.

I think you pulled it off,dude. Cool ride,like a stretcher allways is. :mrgreen:

But just one hint: I'ld stick to the 28" in front,for the sake of riding-stability.
In my case,I had a 26-er both in the back,as in front and I thought it was a bit wobbly (while riding). So I swapped the frontwheel for a 28" and it handled much better,right away.

As for better style,I put in an 80 mm rim in the back (with a Schwalbe "Fat Frank") and a Schwalbe "Big Apple" tyre in front.
Gives the bike more attitude.
But hey, this is only my personal view. Do what you think is best. It's allready cool now.
Keep up the good work.

So I may have attacked my bike with a saws-all last night. I was looking at it and decided it needed to be a little shorter for better comfort and easier bar selection. Cut 2" behind the neck on the backbone and about 4" behind the crank and removed a 4" chunk from each. A tube was inserted in the cut areas for strength and the two halves were welded back together. It only took about ten min to do so not too big of a deal. Tomorrow I will be getting a seat and new tires so it will be good for a longer test ride. More to come.

Oops. I think I broke it. :(
2012-08-09_21-51-36_917.jpg

All fixed up again.
2012-08-09_23-58-43_267.jpg

And now with flaming duct tape.
2012-08-09_23-58-59_735.jpg

Thanks wimpy for the comments. I am looking to go with fat tires like that in the future but i will have to get new rims first. I have 27s on there now so tire selection is a little low but I will keep looking.

That is the cool thing about metal...you can cut ...you can bend it....and weld it
into another form. Its such a forgiving medium to work with. At the end it comes out
really nice. :wink:

Looks good man. I like the duct tape seat. I also sorta like the bars that are on it in the last pics,they work somehow. So cool to be able to build your own stuff like that. I wonder what bicycle/minibike crossbreed you could come up with?

jackdaw said:
Looks good man. I like the duct tape seat. I also sorta like the bars that are on it in the last pics,they work somehow. So cool to be able to build your own stuff like that. I wonder what bicycle/minibike crossbreed you could come up with?
Thanks. That seat it only temporarily on there though. I added 6" to the bars in the last pic and I like them so they will stay with it now. I actually robbed the forks of the minibike I am building now to put on the bike. This is one of the last minibikes I built. It would do over 100 mph. Don't ask me how I know this. :D

2610_1110699803013_6840760_n.jpg

Did a little more work to the bike Sunday and tonight. Added 6" to the bars, put on the new seat, and reinstalled the original front forks with the special axle nuts I turned on the lathe tonight. Heading to the LBS tomorrow for tires, cables, and whatever else looks cool. Then it will get blown apart for paint and final assembly.

2012-08-14_01-17-06_506.jpg

2012-08-14_01-17-16_561.jpg

2012-08-14_01-17-33_10.jpg

Independent said:
Cut 2" behind the neck on the backbone and about 4" behind the crank and removed a 4" chunk from each. A tube was inserted in the cut areas for strength and the two halves were welded back together. It only took about ten min to do so not too big of a deal.

Cant wait til i can do something like that in 10 minutes and say "not too big of a deal"! Looks sweet!

Jawon said:
Independent said:
Cut 2" behind the neck on the backbone and about 4" behind the crank and removed a 4" chunk from each. A tube was inserted in the cut areas for strength and the two halves were welded back together. It only took about ten min to do so not too big of a deal.

Cant wait til i can do something like that in 10 minutes and say "not too big of a deal"! Looks sweet!

No doubt huh! :shock:

Well sorry for no updates lately. My sister used my yard to get married in so I have been doing yard work for the past month to get ready. So now its over and I jumped on the bike to get it finished. Blew the whole thing apart for sanding, bondo,and paint. Put the new tires on the rims and reassembled. Started on Saturday and finished last night. Rode it a little today and all is still well. New tires at the proper pressure make a difference in peddling effort.

all torn down for bondo and sanding.
2012-09-08_16-43-31_364.jpg

2012-09-08_16-44-01_241.jpg

2012-09-08_16-44-11_51.jpg

No pics of primer and paint, but the paint is duplicolor metal effects silver with the orange anodized duplicolor clear over that.

After reassembly and a few beers its all ready to go.
2012-09-10_22-11-13_519.jpg

2012-09-10_22-11-00_616.jpg

2012-09-10_22-10-33_956.jpg

Ghetto blasters installed. They sound pretty good for just being powered with my ipod.
2012-09-10_22-12-19_469.jpg

Better pics today in the daylight from the ramp at work.
2012-09-11_12-24-19_716.jpg

2012-09-11_12-24-49_233.jpg

2012-09-11_12-25-15_944.jpg

2012-09-11_12-23-41_687.jpg

There are a few more things I would like to do but for now its time to get some more miles on it.

Looks really good. I was going to use that color but went with the red instead.
Nice build.

Love tha seat. :lol: :lol: :wink:

Oh yeah! Turned out great. I just love the colour.
Only one thing that I would have done differently: slightly fatter tyres (like Big Apples), if they would fit. Gives the bike a little more body.
But first: THUMBS UP.

Thanks wimpy. I thought about doing fatter tires but the more I look at it the more I like the skinny ones on there. The next one I am building will have 26" tires so I will do fatties on it.

rad, i love this bike i put 700cs on my bike and its going to be hard to go back to fat tires,so much faster!

Latest posts

Back