Linseed Oil, polish, cleaner restorer???

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey, Linseed Oil? I Advisable to use as a polish over paint? Good for tire walls? It definitely shines. I know a guy that uses Pledge furniture polish as a cleaner/polisher. But that has solvents which I assume would harm paint. It seems to soak into the tires, and makes them darker. Darkens up and shines just about everything on the bike. Converts rust, sorta. Is it a dumb idea to use it on a bike?

I doubt it would be good on whitewall tires. It may protect the rest. The problem with oil finishes is they collect dirt.

I have done a bare frame with oil finish though and it looks pretty good.

You can get linseed oil, which does not dry and attracts dust like cman said. And, you can also get BOILED linseed oil, which hardens. Putting a coat of boiled linseed oil on your paint job would be like painting it with a coat of varnish. :shock: Both boiled and plain are nasty, sticky, old old old school compounds used years ago for furniture. I'd look for a newer product than that stuff. Gary

linseed oil has been used in the bicycle world for years.

they used it as a type of lock tight, rust inhibitor and lubricant. that being said, i imagen its gonna dry out your tires.

yeah, be careful if using linseed oil. A friend of mine burnt down her bar/venue after treating the hardweood floors with linseed oil and left the rags in a bucket.....self combustion. Total loss.

Hahaha, no, bike's not wood. Just curious, I read that its was an ingredient in some car waxes. Plus because it's an organic oil I thought it might actually moisturize and renew the rubber, not dry it out. Guys, it looks amazing when you put it on, way more luster than car wax. After you polish it doesn't seem too sticky. We'll see how it looks in a week; the bike might be super dirty.
Apparently it catches fire because it oxidizes and heats up. Oxidation doesn't sound good for paint or rubber. So should i just stick with Turtle wax? Whats are some products to get your tires looking shiny?

The only time I use linseed oil on a bike is when I'm building wheels, it works great if you dip the threaded part of spokes in some before you start lacing.

For the finish on the frame, I clean it with soap and water, then use car wax 3 or 4 layers and it really brings the old color out.

Bettleguise said:
Hahaha, no, bike's not wood. Just curious, I read that its was an ingredient in some car waxes. Plus because it's an organic oil I thought it might actually moisturize and renew the rubber, not dry it out. Guys, it looks amazing when you put it on, way more luster than car wax. After you polish it doesn't seem too sticky. We'll see how it looks in a week; the bike might be super dirty.
Apparently it catches fire because it oxidizes and heats up. Oxidation doesn't sound good for paint or rubber. So should i just stick with Turtle wax? Whats are some products to get your tires looking shiny?

did you use raw? as someone else posted (boiled) linseed oil is the traditional spoke prep- it gums up into a sort of loctite. very economical, a quart can last years :D

Latest posts

Back