Limo bike

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
This is the name I remember hearing it called. I have a family reunion coming up and I am recreating a bike my grandfather built sometime around 1978-1980 as a tribute. I think it will be a fun thing for the family to see and ride. As he did back then I am keeping this as low budget as possible. I have only used free and recycled parts or scrap metal so far. I will need to spend a little to make the seat and buy a can or two of blue paint. Here is a picture from 1980 or so and what I have done so far.
IMG_1395.JPG
IMG_1449.jpg

I am still working on getting a better welder but I am pretty impressed with what this little 110v gasless wire welder is doing considering all its limitations.
IMG_1442.JPG

Looks like the one your Grampa is on uses rods with chain on the ends for the steering and I will share that on my last build, rods and chain worked better than chain alone. I used turnbuckles made for screen doors. I cut the flat ends off and drilled holes in the ends to fit the chain. I did have to pound them a bit flatter. Check out Harlequin T in the recent WBO. BTW what happened to the original bike?

Carl.

I imagine they were scrapped. The last time I saw either of them was in 1998. A cousin of mine (the kid on the lap) had the blue bike for a while but I am pretty sure it was scrapped when he moved out on his own. A lot of the grandkids and none of the great grandkids have ever seen them.

I'll be watching this build as I work on my second tandem conversion. They are very similar. I'm lowering mine though, not quite a scraper but lower than where yours is now. BTW, yours is looking good.

Carl.

1978 WOW! Those had to be the "original" Zombie bikes! Looking good!

I have now spent $1.50 on this bike. I bought a turnbuckle for the steering. The drive chain kept coming off the pulley so I bolted on a jackshaft type thing I had made for another project but never used. I also shortened the drive chain to help eliminate slop. I would have removed the derailleur but the chain would hit the frame. For now it is stretched all the way out and is only going to be used for chain routing.
IMG_1480.JPG
IMG_1481.JPG

I like the way you ran the turnbuckle.
Simpler than the way I ran mine on Harlequin T.
I also ran my drive chain 2 or 3 ways before I settled.
Lookin' good.

Carl.

Any progress?

Not yet. I've been busy with work...Almost 60 hours overtime last month. Hopefully tomorrow I can do upholstery and paint. The reunion is next Saturday.

Two layers of carpet padding for the seat. I screwed the vinyl right to the back of the wood. It feels better. Some rattle can blue and it's looking better than I expected. Depending on how fast the paint dries I could have it back together shortly after lunch.

I LIKE IT!!!

Maybe make a sign to stand next to it..."IT'S GENETIC"

Latest posts

Back