LIMITED EDITION 2017 SCHWINN LEMON PEELER

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
There were two more that popped up this morning and they went fast.

I've been told that there are less than 200 bikes left and the next batch will be released on 4/24.

Looks like one is being parted out already...

Because all of the parts are (allegedly and theoretically, he hopes) worth $976!!! (Edit: $1011 -- I missed the reflector the first time.)

Yes, I looked though all of his other auctions. :21:

Schwinn Stingray Krate Bike Wheel Set $128.00
(Also available separately: Schwinn Stingray Krate Bike 20" Rim Rear Wheel $74.00 +
Schwinn Stingray Krate Bike 16" Rim Front Wheel $54.00 )​
Schwinn Stingray Krate Banana Seat Lemon Peeler $124.99
Schwinn Stingray Krate Springer Fork $98.00
Schwinn Stingray Krate Slik Tire $103.99
Schwinn Stingray Krate 16" Schwinn Superior Front Tire $48.00
Schwinn Stingray Krate Chainguard Lemon Peeler $64.00
Schwinn Stingray Krate Sissy Bar Shocks $78.00
Schwinn Stingray Krate Bike Fender Set $89.00
(Also available separately: Schwinn Stingray Krate 20" Rear Fender $48.00 +
Schwinn Stingray Krate 16" Front Fender $42.00 )​
Schwinn Stingray Krate Handlebar & Stem $48.00
Schwinn Stingray Krate Lemon Peeler Bike Frame & Chainguard $89.00
Schwinn Stingray Krate Handlebar Grips Yellow $32.00
Schwinn Stingray Krate Bow Pedals $38.00
Schwinn Stingray Krate Crank and Sprocket $34.99
Schwinn Stingray Krate Seat Reflector Cat Eye $35.00

IF he sells them all, he more than triples his money -- but if he's anything like me, he'll be lucky just to get his money back and will be stuck with a pile of parts that nobody wants.

He's also selling MULTIPLES of many of those parts, such as four cranksets, four sissy bars, four chainguards, and so on.

Last edited:
Because all of the parts are (allegedly and theoretically, he hopes) worth $976!!! (Edit: $1011 -- I missed the reflector the first time.)

(Also available separately: Schwinn Stingray Krate Bike 20" Rim Rear Wheel $74.00 +

IF he sells them all, he more than triples his money -- but if he's anything like me, he'll be lucky just to get his money back and will be stuck with a pile of parts that nobody wants.

He's also selling MULTIPLES of many of those parts, such as four cranksets, four sissy bars, four chainguards, and so on.
Wow!...:crazy2:

Best of luck to him...I guess.

Jason

I was wondering what the total was. Thanks for doing the work!:nerd:

The price isn't bad, just as $119,000 isn't way out of line for a new Vintage Ford Mustang for example, because the company that builds them starts with an original 64 1/2 body and goes from there, and original bodies are surely hard to come by.

HOWEVER..I've always wondered this over the years.? Maybe somebody could finally clear this up for me. ? ..Doesn't Ford, or let's say Schwinn,(no matter where they're produced now), have the original molds and templates to make every single part, from a fender right down to the screws it used to put the armrests on???
Or lets take the original Krate or Sting Ray, surely those plans still exist for the tube bending and the manufacture of the shifter or the bars, every part right down to the wheel bearing dust caps.

SO, why don't the original companies just put out authentic replicas ever 20 yrs or so, making it completely as a new Car / Bike right off of the assembly line. Just an intrusive thought that comes up in my mind every now and again.
wind14.gif

franco

revology-mustang.jpg

A good example of what you're talking about was the 1995 Schwinn Black Phantom that I did an article on. They apparently went to great lengths to reproduce everything as close to the original as they could. They didn't have the original tooling anymore so they had to create wax molds from original parts. They farmed all of this out to a separate company in California back then. They made 5000 of those bikes and even then the price point on them was really high.

My assumption is that the work involved in producing exact replicas is not cost effective and that's what keeps them from doing it.

The price isn't bad, just as $119,000 isn't way out of line for a new Vintage Ford Mustang for example, because the company that builds them starts with an original 64 1/2 body and goes from there, and original bodies are surely hard to come by.

HOWEVER..I've always wondered this over the years.? Maybe somebody could finally clear this up for me. ? ..Doesn't Ford, or let's say Schwinn,(no matter where they're produced now), have the original molds and templates to make every single part, from a fender right down to the screws it used to put the armrests on???
Or lets take the original Krate or Sting Ray, surely those plans still exist for the tube bending and the manufacture of the shifter or the bars, every part right down to the wheel bearing dust caps.

SO, why don't the original companies just put out authentic replicas ever 20 yrs or so, making it completely as a new Car / Bike right off of the assembly line. Just an intrusive thought that comes up in my mind every now and again.
wind14.gif

franco

View attachment 47503

I can't speak for Ford or Schwinn, but I work in the appliance industry. We have a press department, so there are a lot dies. Once a die is either considered obsolete, breaks or wears out, it's melted down to make new dies.

A good example of what you're talking about was the 1995 Schwinn Black Phantom that I did an article on. They apparently went to great lengths to reproduce everything as close to the original as they could. They didn't have the original tooling anymore so they had to create wax molds from original parts. They farmed all of this out to a separate company in California back then. They made 5000 of those bikes and even then the price point on them was really high.

My assumption is that the work involved in producing exact replicas is not cost effective and that's what keeps them from doing it.
I can't speak for Ford or Schwinn, but I work in the appliance industry. We have a press department, so there are a lot dies. Once a die is either considered obsolete, breaks or wears out, it's melted down to make new dies.

So , it's sounding like a combination of not having the original tooling, and perhaps companies not realizing at the time that there would be such a vintage / collectible phenomenon 30,40 ,50 years down the road like we see today...that makes sense, thank you

For the auto industry, a lot of the parts are sourced from 3rd party companies...and they definitely aren't going to keep something around that isn't making them money right now. The auto companies build ahead replacement parts for 'x' amount of years after a product line is done...and that's it. Sometimes you run across things still in inventory for decades after. I had an oil dipstick tube break on a '68 F250 in the mid-90s, and shockingly, they had an oil stick/tube assembly in stock for it at the Ford dealership...nearly 30years after the truck was made, and 20years after the last 390 FE rolled of the line. On the other side of the coin, the smart chip keys for the '98-'99 Lincoln MkVIII ran out of stock in the early-early 2000s...they were going for $100's on ebay :(...if you lost your key, your car was pretty much bricked.

Jason

An example of what BDC is saying is the modern challenger. Its silhouette is very close to the original. But, airbags, safety beams, crumple zones, enough electronics to get man to the moon in the '60s...leads to a car that weighs 800lbs+ more than the original even though they have a very similar footprint.

Jason

For the auto industry, a lot of the parts are sourced from 3rd party companies...and they definitely aren't going to keep something around that isn't making them money right now. The auto companies build ahead replacement parts for 'x' amount of years after a product line is done...and that's it.

We work with the powersports industry (primarily ATV's and watercraft) and it's the same way for us. We only hold molds for so long, track all activity of shots or hits off each one, give the customer X number of chances to do something with the slow movers and then we scrap them. It's sad really, but you can't hold onto the stuff forever

Latest posts

Back