Like the title says "Bike I.D. ....."

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
I came across this 24" girls bike when I went to pick up another bike. The seller said " If you don't take it, I'm just going to toss it out." So I took it. I know it's a Sears bike - JC Higgins head badge and the MOD502 in the serial number. From what else I can find, the MOS-P would make it a 1958.
So can anyone confirm the date or come up with an alternative?

The fork is broken off right at the top of the head tube so the goose neck, truss rod bracket, and handle bars are missing. It's also missing the headlight. I've found a catalog ad showing this bike but there's no date on the catalog.

My questions are:
1) Is it going to be worth it to pursue finding a fork and truss rod bracket or 2) is it worth more in parts. 3) Can anyone put a value on it?

It was sold as a fully equipped bike one step lower than a Color Flow. Only three ports and no jewels in the ports.
IMG_20190527_121820778.jpg
IMG_20190527_121355309.jpg
IMG_20190527_120957218.jpg

It has lower fender braces that go around the outside of the fender and tie into the chain guard, supposed to be all white and color matched. The rear rack, tank, horn, and headlight are all part of the original package.

Share your thoughts, I'd appreciate any insights.

Thanks,
Ed

Murray serial chart.jpg
MOS-P is 1950, 24"s aren't worth a whole lot to begin with. The chart above doesn't reflect Sears bikes, which have an S in the code. - Adam

Agreed, a woman's bike, and a 24" to boot won't bring any profit if it's fixed up, even though it was a free bike. You could weld on a piece from the top of an old fork to that one and keep the same fork. A truss bracket can be fabbed up fairly easily. Then it'll need tires and tubes. A seat then handlebars, grips, and gooseneck.
If it was being fixed up to give to some lucky youngster or shorter person, then a 1950 J C Higgins would be a great bike to get and ride. Like this one:

1950-s-jc-higgins-bicycle-americanlisted_38639239.jpg

It may be best used as a parts bike. I wonder if the tank or cranks are the same size as a 26" version of that bike?

Latest posts

Back