** Let's see your Bicycle Winter pic's **

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
IMG_0139.JPG

IMG_0166.JPG

We got record snow, now record warmth. The weatherman says it's an April weather pattern. It's raining (about half inch so far) but the ground is frozen so that there is ice rink ice underneath water. It's so slippery I couldn't put my foot down without falling over off my bike. I couldn't even get on my fat bike, it just slid out before you could get on it and if your foot is not directly over your weight, down you go. Much to slippery to walk, even with sidewalk cleats. So after failing to get on it I tried my ice bike with studded tires. This is the worst, sketchyist, most dangerous and stupidest conditions I ever tried to ride in. Of course I didn't put on my bomb suit before going out. It was very technical riding. Hills caused you to spin but you couldn't put your foot down because everything would go down so you had to keep grinding and slipping. There are some pretty big hills and you have to approach them at almost a stop and gently use your back brake, but even this would cause the rear wheel to skip a little sideways. I got too much speed once and the front wheel went sideways and I almost went down but I let go of the rear bake and went way faster than I should of, but cleared the hill.
IMG_1819.JPG

IMG_1820.JPG

I couldn't make it to the top of this hill, way steeper than it looks. I was spinning the rear wheel the whole way up and near the top the bike stopped but I was still spinning. I went don and the bike and I slid to the bottom. It was wet, but I was already soaked from the rain.
IMG_1821.JPG

IMG_1822.JPG

IMG_1823.JPG
IMG_1824.JPG

Huffy Black Hills with the old stove paint job. Bent & dented top tube where it had been run over.

I took it on ragbrai in 2007 or so where it picked up a bunch of stickers.

then it became my old bike at work.

two months later with 1950s fenders added. A few rattle cans emptied out to give it some color.

so ugly but stolen 3 months later.

Quest bso covered with tape. Single speed conversion project coming up.

Oops, not done before winter, hum, make that: developing patina:

Ugh, winter is here with a vengence. -24 F predicted for sunday morning.

Quest bso covered with tape. Single speed conversion project coming up.

Oops, not done before winter, hum, make that: developing patina:

Ugh, winter is here with a vengence. -24 F predicted for sunday morning.
Holy wah! Where did it go? I hope that -20s stuff is over here. Was -16 Tuesday, then yesterday -11 and today -10 and at 8 pm today +8 so it’s warming up. I think I’ll have a pina colada. I’m living right between Lake Superior and Lake Michigan so that keeps us a little warmer. Perhaps as low as -17 on Sunday, then gradual warming. I have been avoiding riding but this long stretch of either snow or cold has put me indoors. I’m going to ignore the cold and just ride, this two weeks of bad weather has kept me off the bike. Maybe not as far as I want.

Latest posts

Back