LEGIT Briggs 5 on BMX Junkgoose ratbike

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
just found this forum! Awesome

This is my 1st successful attempt at building a motorized bicycle. From what I see on here most people use old Schwinn type bikes. I chose to go with BMX for a couple reasons. I will keep those to myself! lol

I know the slant of the motor might raise some questions, and I was worried about it from the beginning but so far it has not cause any problems. I'm sure it will foul up the motor eventually, but heck this thing goes and for this build that is really all I cared about.

Built with 90% found or scrap or junk or re-purposed bits and pieces.

probably a dozen different people have driven this thing a total of 100 miles, HARD.

I wish I had taken more pics of what exactly went into this thing and all the bits and pieces. But there's some good stuff here.

There were a total of 3 phases (so far...) of work done on this "thingy". A "thingy" that hits 41 mph. First it started off comprised of the BMX bike, and pulleys and belts from the Tiller that the motor came from. It "worked". Then I gained access to some junk go-kart parts. Some frame mods, and changing over to two chains (hence the name) were next. The 3rd phase

Bits and pieces:
-Crummy FREE old rusty Mongoose BMX bicycle
-Garden Tiller
-Jack Shaft
-Centrifugal clutch
-Go-kart exaust pipe
-Ammo box
-Faux Ostrich leather
-Various harware

Evolution:
No pics were taken in the initial phase of the build, but I do have a video detailing the mechanics and a POV ride. It was really about a simple build to get the systems involved working. So nevermind the scary frame and shotty welding!

link here >>> http://youtu.be/inKNYZs_yVI

I did take some pics of "the rest" of the build:

and finally....
Here is a POINT OF VIEW POV video with a trip I took to work, and towards the end I speed by a cop doing 40mph easy in a 30mph zone, try to turn off of the road really quickly only to eat asphalt! (far from breaking the bike)
link here >>> http://youtu.be/MznC1UugVZQ

enjoy! and please comment! because until now I have not been able to find many people very interested in these things! Always an eye catcher, but they have no IDEA what they are looking at!

Glad you found the place, looks like you know how to have fun with what you've got :eek: It made me feel a lot better when I saw the round tubing sectioned in over the top :lol: 41mph is singing along, what kind of brakes does it have ? Converse ? Reebok ? :mrgreen:

Welcome - Jeremy

O why thank you! and the brakes don't consist of much you are right about that. Just some bogus rim caliper brakes fitted to the forks after moving the mounting posts accordingly. They were originally cantilever brakes.

My brother built a 20" stingray frame with one of those chinese 2 smoke kits, he got pulled over on it. The cop said he pulled him over because he looked to big to be riding a kids bike (he's 6'-4"), then he noticed he was going faster than the cars, then he noticed he wasnt pedaling either :lol: So he pulled him over to see what he was riding just to check it out.

His has got a drum brake on the front now, but when he first got it rolling he wore through a couple pairs of shoes, he didnt start slowing down until it was too late most times. Fun stuff !!!

here's another project I did most recently. Stuck a Honda clone on a Sachs Madass frame. Took a decent amount of fab and design.
I didn't really want to start a new feed because this isn't really a bicycle obviously. Still cool and had to share! Hit's 45 mph, which is exactly what I was shooting for. Take a look!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EiMWQLw2Sps

here's what the original setup looks like. Not the best pic

And here's what I did to the thing.

Latest posts

Back