Leg Day

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I finally decided to take the plunge and enter this year's Build Off. Nothing extravagant, but if I pull this off Leg Day should turn a few heads in my one-stoplight county. My plan is to take a Worksman INB frame(thanks again @ind-chuckz )and weld in a new bottom bracket far enough forward that a 65t chainring will clear the chainstays. This will probably get a single speed coaster brake and a bent springer fork. Not sure about the last bit though.
13123087_985324608241955_5082973217393037655_o.jpg

13217522_985324621575287_3849443215586531141_o.jpg
13173057_985324638241952_3417311200269809881_o.jpg

I'm naming it Leg Day cause I reckon just trying to get this thing in motion is gonna be a workout.

Sweet! Love the big ring! Welcome to the fray! You've got some good company down there in Peachville......Kingfish and Dr Tankenstien to name a couple! Rat on....

Sweet! Love the big ring! Welcome to the fray! You've got some good company down there in Peachville......Kingfish and Dr Tankenstien to name a couple! Rat on....
Yeah, Kingfish sold me the forks I originally wanted for this bike even before I decided to put it in the build off. Unfortunately my wife appropriated them for HER Worksman. Oh well, it just opens the door for bigger and more ridiculous things.

Glad to see you join in the fun Josh.
Another possible option to get that monster sprocket to clear is to try and use some spacers between the sprocket and the bearing race.
I like that frame a lot.

Glad to see you join in the fun Josh.
Another possible option to get that monster sprocket to clear is to try and use some spacers between the sprocket and the bearing race.
I like that frame a lot.
I tried it about a year ago on Sandra's bike. It threw the chainline off further than I was comfortable with.:( Besides, how much cooler will it be with some extra parts thrown in?;)

Didn't get a chance to really work on Leg Day today, but I kicked up a piece of aluminum diamond plate that would make a good tank plate I'm thinking. If I wanted to sandwich 2 pieces together so it would be patterned on both sides, what adhesive would be good for that? Kinda new to making this kind of stuff.

Josh, I use Goop for most of my bike / car adhesion needs. Available at Home Depot, hardware stores, etc. Dries fast, holds well, lasts long....
goop.jpg

I have a feeling this is gonna go very slowly until the very end, and then everything will be thrown together last minute. Anyhoo, I got the tank plate pieces cut out of the diamond plate today, but forgot to picture them. I'll take some tomorrow. Still trying to chase down a welder.

After looking at the pieces mocked in place, I'm not as enthusiastic about the diamond plate as I was earlier. But I will wait til the rest of the build is finished and see how it looks before nixing them.
13243947_993327990774950_2557702786859398534_o.jpg

I cut mirrored pieces so it would be face out on both sides.
13254900_993327984108284_4883319866386450067_o.jpg

The pieces are still a little too big, but after the left and right sides are glued together I'll file everything to a good fit.

I'm actually really digging both pieces a lot. I don't think I've seen anyone do a lower section like that. And the Higgins-esque curve to it is cool.

One possible enhancement though. The angle of the diamond lines isn't the same between the upper and lower halves.

It's good to see someone using a file. To many people reach for the power tools and miss out on the connection of feeling the work with your hands.

I like the shape of the bottom tank half! It does look 'Higgins-esque' as Brian pointed out.

Thanks for the comments and suggestions! I think once Leg Day is painted and built the tank pieces will look more at home.
One possible enhancement though. The angle of the diamond lines isn't the same between the upper and lower halves.
Yeah, I wasn't thinking about that when I started tracing out my pieces, and there's not enough of the sheet left to cut more. :doh:

It's good to see someone using a file. To many people reach for the power tools and miss out on the connection of feeling the work with your hands.

I like the shape of the bottom tank half! It does look 'Higgins-esque' as Brian pointed out.
I'm quick to grab a grinder or jigsaw for basic cutting, but I like to finish with a file because if I slip with a file it won't trash my frame like a grinder will (learned the hard way).

Latest posts

Back