Lauson Motor Bike

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Impressive. Super cool little Lauson, too.

furyus

The next part of the build is the drive wheel. I played around with different ideas of what to use and how to mount it.
I looked into v-belt pulleys and bicycle rims but couldn't find the right size, and v-belt pulleys can be expensive.
The Renaissance Man suggested making one out of wood. I went to a local cabinet shop, bought some hard
maple and started the process. Here it is so far.
wheel 3.jpg

After trimming the corners I laid out the circle as a guide for the router. The router gauge was set to the diameter of the outer circle and the excess cut off.
The router gauge was then set to the diameter of the inner circle. Guide lines were then drawn in the proper position to attach stops so the router wouldn't pass too far.
Stops were then attached and the distance between each lug was then cut.
wheel 2.jpg
wheel 4.jpg

wheel 7.jpg
wheel 6.jpg

Nice work! A wood bike is on one of my to do lists...

Carl.

sent from my banana phone...

I have my drive wheel roughed out. I'll rout a groove later on for the drive belt. Next comes a lot head scratching on how to attach the wood wheel to the rim. I researched different ways and decided to make brackets out of 1/8" steel plate. After many attempts at trying to get the angles right I still don't have them fitting the way they need to.
I'll keep trying until I get it right. Until then, here's the progress so far.
wheel 10.jpg

bracket outline.jpg

bracket outline 2.jpg
bending bracket 2.jpg
bent brackets.jpg

After getting the brackets shaped properly comes the job of fitting them to the drive wheel and rim. When you bend steel plate, or anything for that matter, you can either lose or gain length. There were many mistakes and what turned out to be scrap pieces in making them come out the same. I have a rough fit and it will require some adjusting.
bracket clamp.jpg

bracket clamp 2.jpg

bracket fitting.jpg

bracket fitting 2.jpg

wheel position.jpg

I have a lauson engine I want to put in a bicycle as well!

Sent from my SM-G900R4 using Tapatalk

Wow! such Great work and progress since my last visit.

Top tube with brazing is very nice , just like they use to do back then!
and as a wood worker , i am impress with your router skills :41:

Amazing work. Keep it coming.

The bracket phase of this project is complete. They started out as one solid piece, but with miscalculations and other errors, the drive wheel wasn't centered. The Renaissance Man suggested making them a two piece unit. His idea once again proved beneficial. The brackets are now adjustable and the wheel can be centered. Due to the spoke layout on the rim, half of the brackets fell in between spokes and the other half was centered on the spoke.
1.jpg

3.jpg

10.jpg

9.jpg

Last edited:
It's a PITA but you could come up with a divisor different than 8, something that goes into 36 evenly like 9... then all the tabs land between spokes. If that is a 36 spoke rim...

Carl.

It's a PITA but you could come up with a divisor different than 8, something that goes into 36 evenly like 9... then all the tabs land between spokes. If that is a 36 spoke rim...

Carl.

That's a good idea, but the way the wheel was made it already had a natural break for eight lugs. It just seemed to work out that way.

Well, there are 32 spoke wheels too. One of those would also allow you to build a nice symmetrical wheel.

Carl.

Latest posts

Back