Late 60s Sears......but what?

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
20171001_181954.jpg
20171001_182010.jpg

I am thinking to someone out there is this is easy. Came up on a mens/womens set of these. I believe they are about 67? Post Spaceliiner, but not sure of maker, and model.

Any help would be appreciated!

Murray-built frame...no doubt about it. Just look at those spurs on the rear dropout. Closest I could find is this one from page 408 of the 1968 Sears Wishbook.

stuff.png

Typically saw these with some sort of "liner" attached to them. Usually saw them labeled as flightliner around here and starliner with more bells and whistles (springer fork)

Typically saw these with some sort of "liner" attached to them. Usually saw them labeled as flightliner around here and starliner with more bells and whistles (springer fork)
Thank you. It's a start. Can go from here......

Ok....when I googled leads I found a couple posts from around the web that points to a 1962 Murray Sears Flightliner. I honestly thought this bike was late 60s, but the posts i seen were from owners...... need to find serial #s....

The cantilevers are a clue to the date. In the later 1960's Murray moved (design-wise) the cantilevers to the sides (outsides) of the down tube, versus the previous Murray Missile design which had cantilevers attached to the back rear top of the down tube.

1) Why did they do it that way, and 2) why did they change it?
First #2: I believe that the later design is better in strength and producibility;
But the 1st question - perhaps Murray already had their double-twin tube design on the drawing boards, and the Missile was made to look similar(?); the 4-tube would become the Sears Spaceliner.

The Flightliner was the model name until the mid '60s, after the JC Higgins brand name was phased out. The newer versions don't have a name, just "SEARS" on the badge and guard. ~Adam

Latest posts

Back