>>>LACKLUSTER<<< Done.

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
>>>LACKLUSTER<<< MIA in Arkansas ;-)

Ok, one more little doodad.. I've done the spoon handle thing for a coaster brake strap before, so I starting looking for something different. I'll use this scale for my coaster brake strap in this build.

740743ff.jpg

>>>LACKLUSTER

Man I'm feeling a little out of touch with the Build Off. Got home from vacation and haven't been able to get anywhere close to my build. Life tends to get in the way like that... I know, it's a long "build off summer". When I do get back too it, i'll stay on it for a coupe days straight and hopefully get it into full rolling/rideable mock up.

I'm going to try to incorporate this Profile stem into the build. I'll need to get a set of cruiser bars that'll accept this style of stem. I'll also need to make it work with a rat trap springer steer tube. I may have to do weld on a different steer tube to make it work.

79fcf198.jpg

3e0c3fa1.jpg

>>>LACKLUSTER<<<

bike2112 said:
The bike is looking awesome. What kind of frame is that. That would be a cool bike to bend the rear rack up and make a back rest out of it!?!
It's a 63' Columbia Newsboy Special. That's a neat idea but I just couldn't do that! The rack is what makes this frame kinda desirable.

>>>LACKLUSTER

More cool stuff showed up! Odyssey Tripple Traps. These things are huge! Much bigger than I thought they'd be, which is cool with me.. the tougher looking, the better!
7aee8393.jpg

8fbbf3d3.jpg

I did get some work done on this thing today, I promise. I'm sure you guys are getting just as tired of posting pics of parts as I am!! I'll get some updates posted in a bit.

>>>LACKLUSTER<<<

I finally got my hands on the springer. I got it taken apart & gave it the once over to make sure the shoulder bolts weren't stripped. They were good to go.. I swapped out the truss rod for a nicer one I had. I put it all back together for a test fit. The steer tube was about 1/8" too long for my frame. No problem.. I found the tallest nut I had and also doubled up the washers. The Profile stem fit the steer tube just fine too! I'm shocked actually.. I was all set to weld on a different steer tube.
I also got lucky with my chain... We usually have to take out at least 5-10 links for a good fit, right? Well, this is the first chain that I've had fit perfect straight outta the box. I say lucky because if it was a link or two too short, I would of had a whole new can of worms to deal with.
With all that, I was finally able to get a full mock up (less handle bars).

9b98b63d.jpg

c9e26afc.jpg

c30c019e.jpg

31ec86ca.jpg

9c73680e.jpg

eefeb47d.jpg

7878d797.jpg

3999b2ba.jpg

Re: >>>LACKLUSTER<<<

Looking sharp!
Love that frame and the Jeralds!

Re: >>>LACKLUSTER<<<

Loves me some doodads!

>>>LACKLUSTER

I wasn't a fan of the original kickstand... It was "lacking" as you can see in the pic. No one likes a saggy kickstand ;). So I tried a Wald unit that attaches to the rear axle. I like it better. Looks cool, but stands the bike up a little too straight... Today, a gust of wind came up and blew it over!! Aaaand guess which two NEW parts hit the concrete first!! Yep, the Profile stem and Odyssey pedal, ugh!! Scratched both and bent the pedal cage! I was able to bend it back after a few choice words! I'll be shaving off some material from the bottom of the Wald kick stand leg to get it to lean a couple degrees more...
160ed801.jpg

103b40c1.jpg

>>>LACKLUSTER

Oneuglybike said:
Really digging your build!! What are your plans for bars? I may have to steal your choice of pedals!!
I'm pretty sure ill be going with a moon shaped type drag bar similar to what i did on my boys Firestone build. On the pedals, good luck finding them in 1/2" (if thats what u need).. Mine came from across the pond :)

>>>LACKLUSTER<<<

My headlight is a 40's Dodge reverse light. I went with a very simple (but effective) way to mount it. I'm happy with it. I still need to do an LED conversion on it. There's not a lot of room inside there for an LED battery pack. I may have to mount some batteries externally.. we'll see.
f8784418.jpg

49a059c3.jpg

49eea3eb.jpg

Back