L.W. Keenan Champion branded bikes...Colson Heavy Service and ACE HIGH brands as well

Discussion in 'BIKE I.D. & VALUATION QUESTIONS' started by RustyGold, Aug 30, 2017.

1. Phil Fink

Phil Fink

2. RustyGold

RustyGold

Thanks for the link, Phil. Champion is such a common word throughout the bicycle world, that it would be hard to make a confident guess that the above is in anyway related. There was a Champion brand in Australia (which the script in the above badge matches very well...but, the 'Made in the USA' makes that unlikely, a Europe Champion, a BMX Champion brand...and then a ton of different models of bike called Champion. So...searching for info is not super productive. My inclination is, that the above badge isn't related to either of the Keenan's...but, that is no more than a guess.

The script is ridiculously similar to these hand painted logos on a very old Australian 'Champion' branded bike...
    m74xs4.jpg

2mfhqp0.jpg

16gfyvd.jpg

Jason

3. OliverRage

OliverRage

4. RustyGold

RustyGold

Check'd it...and snagged it :thumbsup:

Thanks for the heads up. That may help tie in the sticker from LA that I posted earlier in the thread. Hopefully there will be an 'about' statement left in it :grin:

Jason

5. Phil Fink

Phil Fink

6. OliverRage

OliverRage

7. RustyGold

RustyGold

I actually posted all the Keenan badge shots on a thread for hardware store badged bikes on thecabe. But, from the dates it looks like he raided this thread a week before I posted him for the thread above :grin:.

Jason

8. RustyGold

RustyGold

However...a fortuitous fluke. When I click on Phil's link above from my phone...I get a different thread. That thread (badges that have never been on a bike) only had four pages, and lo and behold on page 2!

Top Notch.jpg
    :crazy:

9. RustyGold

RustyGold

It looks same era and general shape as your Ace High badge, maybe CWC as well.

10. Phil Fink

Phil Fink

RustyGold likes this.
  11. RustyGold

RustyGold

I figured there must have been some F.P. Keenan branded bikes out there! Thanks Phil, for pointing this one out, very cool!

FPKeenan-Chinook.jpeg
    FPKennan.jpeg

Jason

12. RustyGold

RustyGold

A couple more tidbits linking the seemingly prewar Portland L.W. Keenan to the evidently Los Angelos postwar L.W. Keenan. Dunelt british bike ads from '55/'56...

4270993256_cdd4461a9d.jpg
    4261259102_206fafb522_o.jpg

...also found a bit of info indicating an L.W. Keenan Manton & Smith bike, but no picture of the badge :doh:...

MantonSmithLWKeenan.jpg
    That's all for now!
    Jason